How to model white water kayak?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF

Re: How to model white water kayak?

Postby PrzemoF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:16 pm

I missed the Surface workbench - thanks! I just did some tests - looks interesting and i managed to crash it quickly :D
triplus

Postby triplus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:01 pm

PrzemoF wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:16 pm
I missed the Surface workbench - thanks!
You're welcome.
I just did some tests - looks interesting and i managed to crash it quickly :D
I remember a crash or two occurred in my tests too. ;) The truth is ATM the default surface related workbench includes rather standard FreeCAD experience and workflow but at the same time the least amount of control over surface creation process. To get more of that you will likely need to move out of the mentioned comfort zone. ;)
PrzemoF

Postby PrzemoF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks saso!!! :D
Konstantin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 am

I wonder, how sometimes it happens, that two unfamiliar people at the same time start making similar projects in same place (no, canoe and kayak are different, but comparing to other freecad projects they are almost the same :) )

Whole month son was asking me to buy a canoe ( sports canoe), and I thought, what if I make it myself? :) Strted drawing in freecad, made a draft model (now I need to find right profile sections, I can't find it anywhere) But now I came across the conclusion that this project is still unrealistic. Let's imagine, I make full drawings in freecad, make a foam body (5.2m long), I find cevlar, right epoxy mix... But vacuuming and carbonizing... This is unreal, I think.

And what about you?
PrzemoF

Postby PrzemoF » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 am

:D There are some really good tutorials how the whole process works and in my opinion it is something that can be done in a garage, but the cost might be higher than the canoe as you'll need some equipment. Check tutorials by Easy Composites from the UK.

I'm not going to make the kayak - even kevlar & carbon fiber are not hard enough to survive constant scraping and hitting rocks. I need the model to design custom graphics, all I need is a shell that looks like the kayak. Looks like with the Silk workbench I should be able to do it.
saso

Postby saso » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 pm

saso wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:21 pm
https://github.com/edwardvmills/Silk
Thanks to Yorik, available now also from the addon manager :)