Newbie, STEP files import to 2D Drawing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
snederg

Newbie, STEP files import to 2D Drawing

Post by snederg »

Hi,

I have worked a bit with FreeCAD so understand the basics - and boy a lot has happened during the last 20 years. I am not a CAD pro and my last exposure to CAD was 20 years ago with Autocad. But this really caught me - im having fun.

Now im struggling with a particular issue, which i cannot figure out how to approach. I have received a large STEP file with 50-80 parts, which all loads fine to illustrate the 3D construction. I would like to understand the various options i have to project this into a TechDraw or a Drawing to - create some 2D illustrations with measurements. I tried with TechDraw and had succes with one body element in a part. Adding multiple parts I either just get a label saying Multiview or i get an error for the view saying "Links go out of the allowed scope *but must be executed"

I tried to combine body features with the compund options, but i only to get the "links go out of...." error. My end goal is to add a few more parts to the 3D model and produce PDF assembly instructions.

My question: What would normally be the best option to approach this task ?

Sorry if this questions has already been asked, but i searched the forum and tried to read the manual, and spend quite a lot of hours to resolve this issue.

I'm on windows and the latest 0.17 build.

brg

Soeren
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Newbie, STEP files import to 2D Drawing

Post by easyw-fc »

snederg wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 pm ...
Now im struggling with a particular issue, which i cannot figure out how to approach. I have received a large STEP file with 50-80 parts, which all loads fine to illustrate the 3D construction. I would like to understand the various options i have to project this into a TechDraw or a Drawing to - create some 2D illustrations with measurements. I tried with TechDraw and had succes with one body element in a part. Adding multiple parts I either just get a label saying Multiview or i get an error for the view saying "Links go out of the allowed scope *but must be executed"

I tried to combine body features with the compound options, but i only to get the "links go out of...." error. My end goal is to add a few more parts to the 3D model and produce PDF assembly instructions.
Hi,
unfortunately atm the new Part of PDN and Body don't have an option to obtain a single copy of your STEP objects which I imagine are in a hierarchical structure.
https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2905
An option is to install my StepUp WB and use the make Compound button...
that will create a single copy of the Top level multi-object you have selected. From there you can create a TechDraw design and add quotes or whatever you need.
If you change something in your STEP hierarchical model you will need to recreate the compound.

Maurice
snederg

Post by snederg »

Hi Maurice,

Im not shure i fully understand your answer. What is the root cause of the problem ?

I investigated the StepUp WB addon, but did not find it in the add-on installation. What would i benefit from in the StepUP WB tool, another STEP in
import or cleanup or ?

I tried with another STEP file i have, and it is the same problem. I have shared my import here (attachment does not allow 1.6MB), so if anybody would be able to load my file, and recommend in which direction i could go to solve the task, it is highly appreciated. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnqyqc025gsql ... FCStd?dl=0

TIA
Soeren
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

snederg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 am I investigated the StepUp WB addon, but did not find it in the add-on installation.
the WB is in the addon installer
snederg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 am What would i benefit from in the StepUP WB tool, another STEP in
import or cleanup or ?
you can make a compound of an App::Part object, recursively following its children
Then from that compound you can get all the views you need
ACU-Shell-compound.png
ACU-Shell-compound.png (228.53 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
snederg

Post by snederg »

thankS!

I'm quite shure the KiCad plugin was not listed when i checked sunday. But now i see it and will try to install it. Looking forward to see how it work then. Thanks again

Brg

Soeren
snederg

Post by snederg »

Perfect, now it works.

The error is it due to the treestructior where the components links together, and this structure is not valid ? I'm trying to learn here. I'll try to search and understand what it means with out of scope.

Brg
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

snederg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm Perfect, now it works.
Good Oh! :D
snederg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm The error is it due to the treestructior where the components links together, and this structure is not valid ? I'm trying to learn here. I'll try to search and understand what it means with out of scope.

Brg
this is due in part of a recent PR which introduced new features, but made some noise
The PR is adding new useful features, but it has to be tuned a bit again...
some tips here
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p192241

But in general the problem with STEP hierarchical files is that at least a single copy, like the one in Part Design WB, would be very useful to be added to FC commands.
Here again the bug report
https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2905