snapping

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

snapping

Post by Guest »

So far in drafting mode is possible to snap to endpoint, midpoint for lines/poly and endpoint/centerpoint/quadrant for arcs/circles - is there a way to snap to intersection of two elements (like a line intersect another, or a circle intersect another circle/arc or a line) - thanks.
cline

Re: snapping

Post by cline »

Yes. Hold down the control key (apple on a Mac) and intersections will show up with open square markers.
studioa

Post by studioa »

thanks - yes it works - probably the two elements were in diff. planes and not intersecting, that is why I wasn't able to snap to intersection.

little bit off initial subject: is there a way to switch to imperial units?
engineering-3d

Post by engineering-3d »

I want snap centerpoint of line and set it with constrain axle. Possible? I want use Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. Ctrl dont work with me. Can I show axles centerpoint? Can I create only point?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Please specify in which workbench you are working. Draft or Sketcher? Those two are totally different. This topic is about the Draft workbench.

And what version of FreeCAD are you using? The one in Ubuntu's repository (or Software center), or the one from FreeCAD's PPA?
engineering-3d

Post by engineering-3d »

Please specify in which workbench you are working. Draft or Sketcher? Those two are totally different. This topic is about the Draft workbench.

And what version of FreeCAD are you using? The one in Ubuntu's repository (or Software center), or the one from FreeCAD's PPA?

----

Thank you very much. I am new user.

Workbench: Sketch in Part Design.

Installing: Ubuntu's Software center
FreeCAD version 0.13, Publish day 2012/01/28 17:11:47
Version: 0.13-bzr5067~lucid1 (freecad) (Launchpad)

Platform: Linux (32-bit)
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Maybe this dont work as I think. It is possible connecting Sketch and Draft? I want centerpoint for line.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

No, Draft and Sketcher are two completely different workbenches.

The Sketcher does not include a midpoint constraint at the moment, it will be added in a future release.

I don't understand what you want to do. What's a constraint axle got to do with a line? Maybe you can use two lines of equal length as a workaround, but I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish so it's hard to say.

By the way, if you turn lines or other elements into construction elements (Image icon), they are not taken into account when doing a 3D feature with your sketch (pad, pocket, revolve). So maybe you can add such construction lines to get what you want.

If you're unsure and want more details, please post a screenshot of what you have so we can have a better understanding.
engineering-3d

Post by engineering-3d »

Thank you very much.

Attachment dont work here?

I mean like:
http://www.engineering-3d.info/out/centerpoint.gif

This works in future... I tried centered for rectangle.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Oh, you meant centering to the axes! Yeah, it's not possible at the moment, but it will be added in a future release. I'm waiting for this too, it's how I always work in Solid Edge.
Attachment dont work here?
It's broken for jpegs, still works for zip and fcstd files.
xav83

Post by xav83 »

try this is can be good for you.
change contraint 11 or 15.
Xavier

ps: It is short because I'm no English
Attachments
documents Freecad.tar.gz
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
http://geekuino.fr/ (Traduction Slic3r)