Graphics card question

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bance
Veteran

Re: Graphics card question

Post by Bance »

I think you should assemble parts in a separate document, you have a part design object to which you have imported another part.
The correct work flow is to create a new docment then import each part for assembly.

HTH Steve
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

un1corn wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm Thank you all for responding to my issue.
I do not understand easyw-fc comments on assembly, If Assembly2 is not intended to be used as an assembly workbench how would I assemble the parts and what may I ask is the function of Assembly 2, I'm not being rude, I really wish to know
In Assembly 2 I normally click the little box with red plus to import part from the file of drawn items then position it as required.
May I respectfully ask how I should be assembling parts, have I been doing it wrong all this time?
1) Hi as @Bance Steve said, you need to start from an empty document to import 'ALL' parts...
in your screenshot you have a mixed document of FreeCAD object and A2 imported object
A2-issue.jpg
A2-issue.jpg (146.51 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
2) Would you mind to post the FC file to see if I (or someone else) can found your issue?
3) Please enable the 'Report Panel' to see which errors you are generating trying to create the constraint...
report-panel.png
report-panel.png (70.45 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Maurice
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

These were just one offs, I do normally start with a new document and import parts. The problem remained the same at the time so I didn't change it, sorry for confusion.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

un1corn wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:48 pm These were just one offs, I do normally start with a new document and import parts. The problem remained the same at the time so I didn't change it, sorry for confusion.
so you need to go through point 2 &/or 3 to try to solve your issue...
2) Would you mind to post the FC file to see if I (or someone else) can found your issue?
3) Please enable the 'Report Panel' to see which errors you are generating trying to create the constraint...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

un1corn wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm Thank you all for responding to my issue.
I do not understand easyw-fc comments on assembly, If Assembly2 is not intended to be used as an assembly workbench how would I assemble the parts and what may I ask is the function of Assembly 2,
Assembly 2 was a third-party add on originally developed as a limited convenience that some may find useful until the official FreeCAD Assembly Work bench is written. Consequently it has limitations.

The official Assembly wb will not begin to arrive until some yet to be determined time after 0.17 is finalised.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:44 pm 1) Hi as @Bance Steve said, you need to start from an empty document to import 'ALL' parts...
in your screenshot you have a mixed document of FreeCAD object and A2 imported object
@Un1corn, I don't think you will be able to move or locate Pocket001 directly to another piece because to move Part Design objects we move the very first Sketch used in creating that Part Design thing. From your screen grab that very first Sketch is probably nested under Pad in the history tree, and it is probably named "Sketch".

Try changing to the Draft WB, click Pocket001 from the history tree to select it, and click the Draft WB > Clone tool. After doing that try moving the Clone instead of moving Pocket001 and see if that helps.

You could also select Pocket001 from the history tree, do File > Export and Export Pocket001 as some 3D file (.step or .iges), do File > New, Import your .step or .iges file,

I don't think this is an issue with your graphics card.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Here is a tutorial with Assambly 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOitNZHZPwc
The first 26 minutes is designing the elements in part design workbench
The last 9 minutes is working with the assembly workbench
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Thanks Willem, This is how I construct an assembly, and I have learnt a couple of useful constraining tips from this video.