[Closed] Win 0.17.11595 x64 archive corrupted

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
georgevt

[Closed] Win 0.17.11595 x64 archive corrupted

Post by georgevt »

FreeCAD_0.17.11595_x64_dev_win.7z

Using 7-zip to extract the file gives the error message about an unexpected end of file. I re-downloaded several times, including using a mirror. All failed with the same error.

Older versions download and extract without a problem. It's just that latest version that seems to be corrupted.
Last edited by jmaustpc on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Closed] to topic title
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Win 0.17.11595 x64 archive corrupted

Post by jmaustpc »

georgevt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:12 am FreeCAD_0.17.11595_x64_dev_win.7z

Using 7-zip to extract the file gives the error message about an unexpected end of file. I re-downloaded several times, including using a mirror. All failed with the same error.

Older versions download and extract without a problem. It's just that latest version that seems to be corrupted.
The latest snapshot version of 0.17 for Windows is 12643, which is over a thousand commits of code past the version you are asking about.

This is a link to the official FreeCAD download page on git hub
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
georgevt

Post by georgevt »

At https://sourceforge.net/projects/free-c ... velopment/

0.17.11595 is the latest version. And https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases only seems to have the 0.16 releases.

Is there another website for downloading the latest 0.17 builds?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

georgevt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:03 pm And https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases only seems to have the 0.16 releases.
Scroll down to 0.17_pre section.
georgevt

Post by georgevt »

Thanks! When scrolling down to look at the releases, there was sufficient white space between the official and 0.17_pre section that it didn't show on my display when I looked previously. It would be nice if there were a link at the top to the development versions. Is the sourceforge site obsolete now? If so, then adding a note and link on the sourceforge site to the github site would be nice, or just delete the sourceforge site.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

georgevt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm Is the sourceforge site obsolete now?
It has been for years.
georgevt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm If so, then adding a note and link on the sourceforge site to the github site would be nice
Already done at the top of the Summary page, even the Files page has the same note (look at the bottom), how did you manage to miss it?
georgevt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm or just delete the sourceforge site.
I believe the rationale is to keep a backup site just in case. Some people have had trouble in the past to download from Github, it is the reason why 0.17-dev builds were copied to SF.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:22 am georgevt wrote: ↑
30 Nov 2017, 04:41
or just delete the sourceforge site.

I believe the rationale is to keep a backup site just in case. Some people have had trouble in the past to download from Github, it is the reason why 0.17-dev builds were copied to SF.
Also under the previous owner of Sourceforge there was an issue where they would decide if they thought a project was abandoned or not, and if so they could take it over in a manner that raised concerns. So we attempted to make it clear we had moved but that the FreeCAD project could not be described as abandoned. Or something like that.

Another thing, the link at the top of the page saying
"Looking for the latest version?"
was a constant issue for us because it was something we did not control, it was automatically put there by Sourceforge or its software, we could not make it point wherever we might want it to. From memory it would just permanently point to what it thought was the last release version or something like that.
georgevt

Post by georgevt »

@NormandC You said that the notice that website has moved from sourceforge to github is on the download page. So, I searched for it there. That notice is at the very end of a very long page. If you're selecting the lastest builds, which are at the top of the page, you will never see that notice... ;) It would more useful to put notices at the top of page so that you don't have to search around to find gotcha info. Likewise, it is poor UI design to not have a link to the development builds on github at the top of the page. It would have saved us both some time...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

georgevt wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 am It would more useful to put notices at the top of page so that you don't have to search around to find gotcha info. Likewise, it is poor UI design to not have a link to the development builds on github at the top of the page. It would have saved us both some time...
I'll grant you that, unfortunately I doubt the SourceForge website allows for such customization by its users.

Please understand that the "main" page of the FreeCAD project's on SF is really the Summary page, and visitors are expected to arrive on that page first. The Files page, on the other hand, is really just a folder listing files. The text you see at the bottom shows the content of the README.md file listed at the bottom. And on the Summary page, the notice is indeed at the very top. Tell me, who will go directly at the Files page without going first on the Summary page?

As a matter of fact, why go directly to Sourceforge, and not to the official FreeCAD website? There, you can click on the Download link, and it brings you to this wiki page: Download and there, under the Development Versions section, the link is to the Github Releases page. Not to SourceForge. Any link to the old SourceForge website has mostly been purged.

In the past 2 years, I can only recall 2 or three people (including you) who downloaded FreeCAD from Sourceforge and mentioned it here on the forum. So forgive me for thinking that you really worked hard to go to an obsolete source of downloads. If I'm wrong, please tell us where you found references to SF for downloads on our website or wiki so we can purge it or at least put a notice about its status.
georgevt

Post by georgevt »

You are correct about difficulty customizing the pages on SourceForge, etc. I used Google to search using terms like "freecad download." And that search generated links to SourceForge and Github download pages. Interesting that few people get to download pages that way. Or maybe a lot of people do get there that way and I'm more wooden-headed than most... You can close this one.