PDN Sweep

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: PDN Sweep

Post by abdullah »

I liked the idea:
NewSubstitutionSetting.png
NewSubstitutionSetting.png (163.82 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
I call firsties!!! I have also been officially the first user to disable this functionality :lol:
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:07 pm With the current implementation, I can imagine power users no longer selecting the tiny points and using edges instead, out of laziness. Why not, the end result is the same.
That's a striking argument.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:30 pm
abdullah wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 am
With the current implementation, I can imagine power users no longer selecting the tiny points and using edges instead, out of laziness. Why not, the end result is the same.
That's a striking argument.
@abdullah - I'll offer an argument for why not:
Because it is still usually faster and easier to select the endpoints if you don't try to select them by clicking directly on them. Try using Box Selection for selecting those tiny endpoints instead....

Good to see you back and busy again!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

abdullah wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:07 pm With the current implementation, I can imagine power users no longer selecting the tiny points and using edges instead, out of laziness.
More or less it comes down to box selection. You quickly lose the patience to be precise. It would cause too much stress being set to such precision during the long hours. ;)
I call firsties!!! I have also been officially the first user to disable this functionality :lol:
Exactly!

As for the pop-up. OK therefore some feel strongly about it and something does get deleted. Therefore one more pop-up won't make the world stop from spinning. As for the execution. I will be honest. If i look at that settings section image you posted for general Sketcher preferences. One would likely need a good manual (or i guess a good number of verbose pop-ups) for being able to figure it all out. ;) Therefore if you ever decide to work on this more. I see this as a better solution. Pop-up itself should have the checkbox. That would make it much easier for the end user to turn it off. In preferences under General there should be only one checkbox that sets the global parameter. Developers adding different type of pop-ups can later decide to respect or not to respect the global setting by checking the parameter setting.

Or something like that i guess. :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

bejant wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:21 pm @abdullah - I'll offer an argument for why not:
Because it is still usually faster and easier to select the endpoints if you don't try to select them by clicking directly on them. Try using Box Selection for selecting those tiny endpoints instead....

Good to see you back and busy again!
It is true. It will also depend on how many other selectable things you get around and within the box area ;)

BTW, It is only me, or the box selection works ok when deployed bottom-left to top-right, but poorly when deployed top-right to bottom left?
Box-select.gif
Box-select.gif (91.58 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
triplus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 pm If i look at that settings section image you posted for general Sketcher preferences. One would likely need a good manual (or i guess a good number of verbose pop-ups) for being able to figure it all out. ;)
We have wonderful wiki manuals and an array of power users helping in the help forum... I do not know what could be wrong ;)

Now seriously. One of the magic things behind FC is that defaults work just fine. I think that when a user starts to be fed up of the pop-up he already has a good grasp of FC and where to search, where/whom to ask. But...
triplus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 pm Therefore if you ever decide to work on this more. I see this as a better solution. Pop-up itself should have the checkbox. That would make it much easier for the end user to turn it off. In preferences under General there should be only one checkbox that sets the global parameter. Developers adding different type of pop-ups can later decide to respect or not to respect the global setting by checking the parameter setting.
It is always possible to improve these things. I might work someday on that, but my preferences are more into new functionality and bug fixing. I think it is where most of the difference is made. Let's see...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

abdullah wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 pm BTW, It is only me, or the box selection works ok when deployed bottom-left to top-right, but poorly when deployed top-right to bottom left?
It may actually be intended. From right to left seems to be a "crossing" selection, everything crossed by the box gets selected. Sometimes it can be really useful. FYI this is a type of selection that is supported in other CAD software.

EDIT: chrisb, you need to be faster on the keyboard man! :lol:
Last edited by NormandC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 pm BTW, It is only me, or the box selection works ok when deployed bottom-left to top-right, but poorly when deployed top-right to bottom left?
It's not a bug, it's a feature. From left to right all elements are selected which are completely covered by the selection rectangle. From right to left all elements are selected that are touched by the rectangle.

Edit: Ok, fast typing Normand, ...
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm It may actually be intended. From right to left seems to be a "crossing" selection, everything crossed by the box gets selected. Sometimes it can be really useful. FYI this is a type of selection that is supported in other CAD software.
chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm It's not a bug, it's a feature. From left to right all elements are selected which are completely covered by the selection rectangle. From right to left all elements are selected that are touched by the rectangle.
I did not see that one coming. Ok, feature it is. Thanks for the lesson. Just another example of where is the fastest and more accurate place to get information about that thing of FC you do not understand :lol:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:28 pm
NormandC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm It may actually be intended. From right to left seems to be a "crossing" selection, everything crossed by the box gets selected. Sometimes it can be really useful. FYI this is a type of selection that is supported in other CAD software.
chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 pm It's not a bug, it's a feature. From left to right all elements are selected which are completely covered by the selection rectangle. From right to left all elements are selected that are touched by the rectangle.
I did not see that one coming. Ok, feature it is. Thanks for the lesson. Just another example of where is the fastest and more accurate place to get information about that thing of FC you do not understand :lol:
OT: Maybe there should be a symbol that shows up at the corner of the bounding box depending on the directionality (this way it gives the end-user an understanding that they are in a different selection mode?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs