SVG import segfault

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mrvanes

Re: SVG import segfault

Post by mrvanes »

I tried to go ahead and see if I could make a working system out of the experimental packages, but there seems to be some naming clash coming up. The only amd64 binaries for libcoin are libcoin80c, but FreeCAD package depends on libcoin80v5. libcoin80v5 only comes in an x32 (??) architecture though, so there's no solution using the current version of the packages. So, let's wait for the higher gods so package FreeCAD against libcoin80c I guess...

A little searching reveals that x32 is a 64bit ABI for 32bit binaries, so could work, but my (ubuntu) system refuses the architecture?

update: dpkg can be coerced into accepting x32 using --add-architecture x32, but python-pivy and freecad both depend on the specific amd64 version of libcoin80v5 :/
NeHe

Post by NeHe »

I think I am hitting this issue as well. I can't import SVGs on Ubuntu 19.04 as it crashes immediately, and downgrading expat / libexpat1 seems to not work well due to new dependencies in 19.04, So I'm kind of stuck.

Are there any good workarounds?

Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

please post your FreeCAD infos as explained following the IMPORTANT link above. They are essential for such problems.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmpocheau

Post by jmpocheau »

Just to add my experience :

I am using Debian Buster (10) - up to date.
I am also experiencing the segmentation fault issue with the expat version on the stable branch (2.2.6-2).

I tried to revert to oldest version I found : (Jessie) version 2.1.0-6 for all 3 packets libexpat1, libexpact1-dev and expat with the same result.
I was surprised because Ubuntu Xenial version which was supposed to work was 2.1.0-7, so I hoped that using an older version would guarantee that the bug would not happen.

I also tried the last debian version which is on the Buster testing branch : 2.2.7-2 with no success.

I would be very interested in a Debian workaround.

If you need additional information, please ask me.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What exactly did you experience when trying to import? Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 pm It's a dependency problem that two packages (Coin3d and Python) use different versions of the libexpat library. The Path/CAM guys encountered this issue a couple of months ago. For more details see:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24268
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23380

The reason is that Coin3d has its own private expat version that is binary incompatible to the system-wide version and that's why it causes the crash.
As a workaround you should keep your libexpat package downgraded until it's fixed by the package maintainer of Coin3d who preferably fixes the switch to link against the system-wide expat version.

So, the bug you reported can be closed again as not fixable because from FreeCAD point of view there is nothing we can do.
Werner explained what the problem is way back on page two of this topic, I have quoted his post above and here is a link to it...

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p208769