Arch - Window - Changing preset values.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cram

Arch - Window - Changing preset values.

Post by cram »

I'm a little lost in what value refers to what in the preset. There is a diagram of them here https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_Window

I apologise because this is probably very simple, however I cannot work out what each prefix refers to , in other word what is W1, W2, H1, H2, O1, O2 ?

Also I thought you were meant to be able to position the window by using the base sketch placement settings. When I adjust those only part of the window moves.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12920 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8faa9f38bb70a598afc2bc39ea1645d416ab057e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Leatherman

Re: Arch - Window - Changing preset values.

Post by Leatherman »

cram wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 am I'm a little lost in what value refers to what in the preset. There is a diagram of them here https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_Window

I apologise because this is probably very simple, however I cannot work out what each prefix refers to , in other word what is W1, W2, H1, H2, O1, O2 ?

Also I thought you were meant to be able to position the window by using the base sketch placement settings. When I adjust those only part of the window moves.

Version: 0.17.12920 (Git)
Hash: 8faa9f38bb70a598afc2bc39ea1645d416ab057e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but W+H are for Width and Height and if you click on the object on the tree the corresponding item should be selected and turn into green color. Guess that should do it. Regarding the sketch, my idea is, that you have not closed the lines properly. Just drag the object and you should see if it's opening. Good luck
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, I made a video and here you see
- placing a preset window
- moving the window by moving the sketch
- after moving the view needs a forcerecompute
- changing the dimensions of the window by changing the dimensions in the sketch
- after these changes the view needs a forcereompute
- changing the thickness of the frame by editing the window

In my opinion it is a minor bug that forcerecompute is necessary after the changes, I can not remember or this was also in the past
phpBB [video]
cram

Post by cram »

Willem wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 am Hi, I made a video and here you see
- placing a preset window
- moving the window by moving the sketch
- after moving the view needs a forcerecompute
- changing the dimensions of the window by changing the dimensions in the sketch
- after these changes the view needs a forcereompute
- changing the thickness of the frame by editing the window

In my opinion it is a minor bug that forcerecompute is necessary after the changes, I can not remember or this was also in the past
Thank you very much Willem, I can see now that any changes are force recomputer is required.

I did have two question in the my original post. The other question is I'm at a bit of a miss as what these preset settings relate to W1, W2, H1, H2, O1, O2 ? Would you be able to advise?
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, I copied one of the images from the wiki page and at right you see the front view of the window. The width and height can be changed in the sketch as I showed in the video. Left you see a section of the window. Here you see the windowframe has a width of W1 and an offset to the wall of O1. In the video I changed the W1 value from 50 to 70. The O2 value e.g. is the thickness of the glass frame. I think you can understand the other values
ParametersDoorGlass.png
ParametersDoorGlass.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
cram

Post by cram »

Willem wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 pm Hi, I copied one of the images from the wiki page and at right you see the front view of the window. The width and height can be changed in the sketch as I showed in the video. Left you see a section of the window. Here you see the windowframe has a width of W1 and an offset to the wall of O1. In the video I changed the W1 value from 50 to 70. The O2 value e.g. is the thickness of the glass frame. I think you can understand the other values
ParametersDoorGlass.png
Thank you again, Willem. I think I now understand the index of those items. I'll play around with it a bit more to confirm I understand it.
jkabell

Post by jkabell »

Version: 0.18.16146 (Git) AppImage
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I have been making a model with dozens of windows and have been successful except that every time I add a window I have to reset things like sill height, w1, w2, etc, h1, h2, etc, 01, 02, etc. Each of these fields has a green arrow next to it and I have tried clicking that to save my choice into default but with no success. The Preferences section under Edit only sets width and height of window. Having set the window as I like it and used it, I then hesitate to copy and paste it in another location as I would do when doing engineering models in FreeCad as this has led to a few crashes of the whole model - it is not just a picture and has to embed into the selected object.

Your video shows a pull-down menu with different choices of windows. I don't get that with my Linux version. Those look like a place to set up your definitions of preferred windows - I would be happy to just have one default window that meets my requirements. Individually editing parameters has led to not all windows looking alike.

Then there is the question of removing windows. It seems to leave a hole in the wall which now cannot be filled or deleted.

I have several years experience with FreeCad on engineering drawings, but this is my first foray into Architecture. I have not found anything on these issues doing Google searches.
Attachments
Edit>Preferences>Arch>Presets only do two or three parameters
Edit>Preferences>Arch>Presets only do two or three parameters
Screenshot from 2020-07-11 14-30-12.png (90.68 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Window Options which do not save
Window Options which do not save
Screenshot from 2020-07-11 14-41-27.png (32.46 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

jkabell wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm I have been making a model with dozens of windows and have been successful except that every time I add a window I have to reset things like sill height, w1, w2, etc, h1, h2, etc, 01, 02, etc. ...
Please do not bump a thread that is several years old as the software moves fast, and what you see in an older thread may no longer apply to your version.

In this particular case, the preset windows can be created from the Python console. There is no way to save the presets currently. This type of code is recorded in the Python console when you execute the graphical buttons. You could run it with saved values of h1, h2, etc., and run the code as many times that you need.

Code: Select all

import math
import FreeCAD
import Arch
import WorkingPlane

pl = WorkingPlane.getPlacementFromFace(FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Wall001.Shape.Faces[2])
pl.Base = FreeCAD.Vector(-1513.708571084228,-700.6451144316903,600.0)
win = Arch.makeWindowPreset("Open 2-pane", width=900.0, height=1000.0, h1=100.0, h2=100.0, h3=100.0, w1=200.0, w2=100.0, o1=0.0, o2=100.0, placement=pl)
win.Hosts = [FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Wall001]
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

vocx wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 pm There is no way to save the presets currently.
This is not correct. The settings @jkabell refers to are automatically saved in V0.19. So the user should update.

Code: Select all

Version: 0.19.21857 (Git)
Hash: 750c169a6cb999f084915494f2fbec7c07297aae
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:53 pm ...So the user should update.
Okay, so this is the reason the version of the software is very important.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.