PDN - Making nuts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DaveGlx

Re: PDN - Making nuts

Post by DaveGlx »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:15 am What do you mean with "Not really"? Do you think the helix is not turned by 1° around Z? Well, it is, really. Do you think it wasn't aligned when it failed? Please look at a cylinder in wireframe view mode. You see two lines. The straight line is the one that causes the problems when creating a thread. Really. Not always, but often.
And this problem is not new in 0.17. Willem discovered it a long time ago in 0.16 (if not 0.15).
In the old days almost everything was better, we had kings and emperors and everything was made of wood; but FreeCAD is better today.
Yes. you turned it 1° (not in the original _2). That's real (but a bit crooked IMHO)
No. Looking at wire frames is not a good method. Looking at constraints and measurements should be the way to go.

Yes. I know its not a new problem and this is why I have a solution (different radius) in the 0.16.
No. FreeCAD was not exist when we had kings and emperors.
every cock crows on his own dunghill
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

oldmachine wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:31 am Attached quick example and screenshot. And, you can do pad/cuts on the nut to make threaded pipe, inserts and other "whatever's" as needed.Naturally, you can do it on Bolts/Screws from the Fastener macro to make a threaded shaft...
Hello!

On your exapmle you have two solids in the document. You have to union them.
Screenshot_2018-01-28_01-49-17.png
Screenshot_2018-01-28_01-49-17.png (94.48 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Fastener_edit.FCStd
(162.48 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

But the best solution is to make one part.
Screenshot_2018-01-28_01-56-57.png
Screenshot_2018-01-28_01-56-57.png (100.74 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Fastener_part.FCStd
(164.12 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Greetings
user1234
oldmachine

Post by oldmachine »

As I said in the post, "You can mess around making it a unified body/part if you want (I don't bother...)."

Unifying them is not necessary - I've machined and 3D printed many part done my/this way. I don't use the 'Part' wb, I stick with PartDesign.

The example was not cleaned-up, meaning, normally I would make cuts to remove material to make it's appearance look unified and to work on the design I intend it for... The example only serves to show the embedding approach.

Of course, do as you please and, no doubt others will use diff approaches...
MAC OSX Sierra
3D Parts & Links (made using FreeCad and Solidworks): https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Android App & Links: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bestknots
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

I also do not use the part wb, i used the partdesign boolean operation. But you are right, if you print the part, then it is ok. But if you make an assembly, than that can be problematic with overlapping surfaces.

Sorry for bad english.

Greetings
user1234
DaveGlx

Post by DaveGlx »

oldmachine wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:31 am I'll spare you some trouble of trying many ways that, in the end, didn't work out as easily as I want (or can do in SolidWorks). So, for the past two-ish years, I do a shortcut approach that works...
Tha't's good and will work well in case of standard fasteners threads.
But many times the thread I need has to match other objects.
Vacuum Cleaner hose (32mm OD left thread round profile), bottle cap, jar lids, Irrigation poly pipe joiners...
oldmachine

Post by oldmachine »

This was done using Part. Uses a sketch, a Helix and a Sweep. Uses a Cylinder to cleanup the guts. It's partially embedded in a Cube...

NOTE: The thread is not per a standard - it’s simply a sketch to show how it can be done. Pull out your engineering book and design a proper thread…
MAC OSX Sierra
3D Parts & Links (made using FreeCad and Solidworks): https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Android App & Links: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bestknots
DaveGlx

Post by DaveGlx »

oldmachine wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:11 am This was done using Part. Uses a sketch, a Helix and a Sweep. Uses a Cylinder to cleanup the guts. It's partially embedded in a Cube...

NOTE: The thread is not per a standard - it’s simply a sketch to show how it can be done. Pull out your engineering book and design a proper thread…
I think the point was missed along the way :oops:
I made many threaded items using FC 0.15, 0.16 the point was to learn how to do it in PDN.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

user1234 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:59 am On your exapmle you have two solids in the document. You have to union them.
What I find interesting in your "Fastener_edit.FCStd" file is that you used the fastener directly in the PartDesign Boolean feature. I wouldn't have thought it possible, as Part objects are not supported.

I guess shaise (the developer of the Fasteners workbench) made his module compatible with PartDesignNext! :)