How to turn off (disable) Numpad navigation?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
liutas4x4

How to turn off (disable) Numpad navigation?

Post by liutas4x4 »

Hi,

On projects, where are a lot of direct data editing in a fields on Property tab, changing a view
instead of changing data while pressing digit on already selected (!) field if boring.

Where it is possible to switch it off?

I'll do a shortcut to on/off it by myself, if someone shows me there.

Yours,
Eugenijus.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to turn off (disable) Numpad navigation?

Post by chrisb »

liutas4x4 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am On projects, where are a lot of direct data editing in a fields on Property tab, changing a view
instead of changing data while pressing digit on already selected (!) field if boring.
I don't quite understand the issue. Is the problem that you have to leave an input field in the DataTab before FreeCAD recomputes? I'm afraid you cannot configure this behaviour.
Or is it that you don't want a recompute to be performed after each single change of a property? This is soometimes a problem on huge models because the recompute takes very long. In this case you can suppress the recompute. In the right-click-menu on the document in the tree you have the entry "Skip recomputes". You will then have to do the recompute yourself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

[grin]

It is because of my English.

The question is about disabling of changing a View using NumPad. Temporary or at all - not important.

Let me try to explain once more:
If I want to enter some value to a field on Property tab, let's say to change Z position of something, while pressing a digit on NumPad, I sometimes get changing of View instead of entering the value.

Hope you understand now...

Yours,
Eugenijus.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Eugenijus.

Numbers (on numpad) can be used to change View in 3D. For example 1 will set the view to Front. What is likely happening is when you select something in 3D the properties of the selection are made visible in the sidebar. And some property is highlighted. That likely lead you to believe you can start entering the value to change the property value. AFAIK you need to explicitly click on the property value first to start the editing mode (with this you change the focus). And after you can change the value.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

Thank you.

I already knew the fact I can change the view using NumPad.

The question is: How to DISABLE it.

Yours,
Eugenijus.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

AFAIK you can't ATM. That is current workflow was likely selected due to the fact when you select something in 3D View user should still be able to change view (and use other shortcuts). And that is why focus is likely preserved on 3D View (and is not automatically set on property editor). I am guessing for alternative workflow somebody would need to find the suggestion reasonable and implement such feature first.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

So, only one solution at the moment is to use numeric keys on main keyboard, not on NumPad.
I will, 'cause I must [smile].

Yours,
Eugenijus.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

liutas4x4 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm So, only one solution at the moment is to use numeric keys on main keyboard, not on NumPad.
You could open a Feature Request on the bugtracker, if you want.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

liutas4x4 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm So, only one solution at the moment is to use numeric keys on main keyboard, not on NumPad.
No, you must simply click with the mouse on the input field as triplus suggests above. This will change the "focus" and the numpad will take input as you expect.
Can you give a simple step by step how your arrive at your problem? I've encountered this before but can't replicate now. Maybe then one of our cracker-jack video producers can make a visual example.
"fight the good fight"
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Hello Eugenijus.
which version of FreeCAD you use?
for me it works fine on the num pad