How to turn off (disable) Numpad navigation?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: How to turn off (disable) Numpad navigation?

Post by sgrogan »

"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

liutas4x4 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm So, only one solution at the moment is to use numeric keys on main keyboard, not on NumPad.
I will, 'cause I must [smile].

Yours,
Eugenijus.
There shouldn't be any difference in behavior between numeric keys on main keyboard and on NumPad. In both cases if you click on a property with mouse. And set it in edit mode. You should be able to input a new value. If key 1 wouldn't set the view to Right it still wouldn't work without the click to transfer the focus.
sgrogan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 pm Old discussion for ref: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15399
If we would want to put focus on a property in edit mode. And at the same time preserve other shortcuts to work as expected in 3D View. Basically keys from 0-9 would need to be reserved and used as a shortcut. All of them triggering functionality that moves the focus and inserting the value. But i am not sure if this is a solution that works for everybody. All that keyboard (shortcuts) space to be reserved for this? What likely shouldn't happen in the first place is for the property value not to be highlighted once something is selected in the 3D View. Removing the potential confusion.

P.S. But if someone implements the behavior where 0-9 keys are reserved for this purpose and others agree with that. I can't argue with that i guess.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:32 pm What likely shouldn't happen in the first place is for the property value not to be highlighted once something is selected in the 3D View.
I agree this is the source of the confusion.
So to focus on wmayer's answer https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 99#p122447
So @liutas4x4, try to re-assign the view shortcuts.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 pm So @liutas4x4, try to re-assign the view shortcuts.
No that alone isn't enough. You can try that easily as not all numbers are used as shortcuts ATM.

P.S. Likely keys from 0-9 would need to become shortcuts that trigger some functionality that changes the focus. By doing that there is some possibility to reuse the keys for something else if the users wants that. Just changing the focus on selection would result in user selecting something and pressing for example V, P key combination. And that would end up being inputed as a property value. :) Or to leave things as they work now. And whenever selecting something in 3D View to try to remove the highlight from any property. And by doing that reduce potential confusion. Or i guess none of the above or something else are also options. ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 am No that alone isn't enough. You can try that easily as not all numbers are used as shortcuts ATM.
Yup! I have been experimenting. So is it possible to disable the highlighting in the input field (which I guess is always the property editor)
I think in this case I have some "expert blindness". I can remember this problem in the past but I never experience it due to my workflow. Similar, only different to entering a leading zero in 0.1. I've experienced this behaviour in so many softwares that I instinctively enter 0.1 If the input field doesn't change the view ;)
"fight the good fight"
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm You could open a Feature Request on the bugtracker, if you want.
But it is not the bug, sure?
May be it will correct to open "feature request"?

And how?

Cheers,
Eugenijus
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 pm I agree this is the source of the confusion.
So to focus on wmayer's answer https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 99#p122447
So @liutas4x4, try to re-assign the view shortcuts.
Good idea. But how?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

liutas4x4 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:29 pm But it is not the bug, sure?
May be it will correct to open "feature request"?
I use the FreeCAD layout for the forum and have a "bug" icon at the top which leads to the bugtracker. You can classify a new entry as feature request. Please crosslink from the issue in the tracker to this discussion and back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

Thank you, I'll do it.
And will report the number of issue there.

Cheers,
Eugenijus.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

liutas4x4 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm I already knew the fact I can change the view using NumPad.
The question is: How to DISABLE it.
Tools->Customize. Keyboard tab. 'Standard View' category. Hunt for standard views in the list, and unbind the shortcuts (Clear button) . Done!

Unfortunately, it doesn't help much with entering numbers :cry: . Instead of spinning the view, the keypresses go into the void. So just learn the trick of getting the cursor into edit box properly.

I recall there was a story that it has been fixed at some point, but there were serious regressions. So here this bug is, frustrating the users.