Assembly 2 - prevent broken constraints and/or resurect them

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OakLD

Re: Assembly 2 - prevent broken constraints and/or resurect them

Post by OakLD »

triplus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:04 pm That Plane relation in Assembly 3 is a tricky one indeed. I tend to avoid it for now. Hopefully it will improve a bit over time. Create Assembly feature and drag and drop two Part cubes in it. Select two points on Cubes edges and add PointCoincidence relation. If you have Auto recompute set to ON it should just work. If no press on Solve constraints command after. But note that Assembly 3 doesn't resolve the topology related behavior we discussed earlier.
Well, Assembly 3 seems to offer a lot of constraining options, so even in case I wouldn't follow your hint exactly, you're certainly right I should think over about the constraint concept. Perhaps other constraints would have sense as well or even a better sense, and they might be less prone to topology breakdowns.
I would likely recommend exploring Arch workbench for such project. In Architecture fully parametric approach (like in mechanical engineering) usually isn't needed. Said that in FreeCAD Arch workbench offers a lot of parametric features. And you could design a house in Part Design. If that is what you would like to do. ;)
Well I have couple of reasons for not to use Arch WB. The first one is, that I'm a mechanical engineer after all, so I'm not too familiar with the architectural concepts used in Arch WB. Maybe the most important point is, that the architectural part of the project is long done and what I'm after now is detailing. This means a good drawing for every member (column, beam, strut,...) and I think this is what assemblies are ideal for. A precise drawings for off-site timber work is a necessity, every little mistake costs a lot of time and effort (tested on smaller shelters :-) ), when assembling on-site. Another point is, that I would like to get used to parts and assemblies in FreeCAD, as in future most of the stuff I'll do will be mechanical. The barn and shelters are exeptions.
Regards,

Oak
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

In general it sounds good. Note that:
OakLD wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:22 pm Perhaps other constraints would have sense as well or even a better sense, and they might be less prone to topology breakdowns.
Regardless of relations you will use this still applies:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 74#p215608
This means a good drawing for every member (column, beam, strut,...) and I think this is what assemblies are ideal for.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_Structure

Assembly 2/3 and Drawing/TechDraw workbenches in general don't care all that much if geometry was made in Part Design or Arch workbench. And last but not least good luck with building the barn! ;)
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

Another interesting workbench. This alone will not do the job I need, but maybe I can test cooperation between Part Design and workbenches such as Timber Frames or Arch Structural... I didn't realized prior this thread, that the WBs could be combined to that extent.

At this point I realized I had some pictures ready for my post ouch. Well, at least here is a pocket and plug detail.

Thank you for the advices and wishes.
Attachments
AssemblyPocket.PNG
AssemblyPocket.PNG (7.19 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Regards,

Oak
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OakLD wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 pm I didn't realized prior this thread, that the WBs could be combined to that extent.
That is one of the good things about FreeCAD.
At this point I realized I had some pictures ready for my post ouch. Well, at least here is a pocket and plug detail.
Looking good.