How to use Sketcher clone

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dbecad

How to use Sketcher clone

Post by dbecad »

Good day
I'm trying to use the clone tool in a sketch but it does not seems to be working, the help wiki is not very helpful either.
So is it normal that I can change the 2 circles independently after clone? I've tested on another 0.17 on windows with the same result.
clone.png
clone.png (91.69 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Damien

--------------
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13433 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at b45bc48)
Hash: b45bc4889d390eb50022a49a58c6af80f4a328f5
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: How to use Sketcher clone

Post by sgrogan »

dbecad wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:20 am I'm trying to use the clone tool in a sketch but it does not seems to be working, the help wiki is not very helpful either.
So is it normal that I can change the 2 circles independently after clone? I've tested on another 0.17 on windows with the same result.
You need to constrain the radius before the clone, then the original and clone will both update when changing the radius of the original.
"fight the good fight"
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Also note that there are two different options for wich type of constraints will be added automatically
1 copies the type and value of the constraints from the original to the new geometry
2 applies an equals constraint to the copies.

With 1 you can edit the individual constraint values without it propagating to the copies

With 2 edits of the constraint values of the original will automatically propagate to the copies
dbecad

Post by dbecad »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 am You need to constrain the radius before the clone, then the original and clone will both update when changing the radius of the original.
Thanks both for your answers, I missed the constraints requirements, I guess it makes sense.
Though this seems to be working for distance (as equal constraints are used on edges) and most of the other like coincidence but not angles?
Screenshot 2018-03-23 08.42.08.png
Screenshot 2018-03-23 08.42.08.png (29.81 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Here the clone constraint edge received an equal, but the angles are not because there is no equal angle in freecad?

Edit:
I thought about another scenario that will not work, and it's indeed the case:
when the distance constraint is not part of the group of object cloned, the constraint will not copied and thus will not
"follow" the clone. Here the right square side is equal to the segment length (constrained), but cloning the 4 sides will result in loss of the constraint. The clone will not change size.
constraint3.png
constraint3.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Do you think this is a limitation of the current sketcher? As I'm new to the community, I might be missing some workflow design decision. If yes I'll start a thread in the request forum. I'm also interested to try a bit of python extension, this could be an interesting project to take on if there is interest...

Just trying to understand the limit of the tool, thanks.
Cheers