3 d printer help

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
meme2704
Veteran

Re: 3 d printer help

Post by meme2704 »

FreeCAD has no slicer program
some machine has their own slicer in their program. ie : FLASH PRINT DREAMER
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I have been looking around at slicers. I'm a big fan security. I get the feeling these folks that make free slicers just want in to your computer. Most of them have Windows installers and you run some .exe and it hooks right up with TCP. No thank you. But...

It appears that freecad has a macro that runs the Cura engine. The cura engine (non-licensed) is a stand alone as far as I can tell. Is there someone here that uses it and can give some status on the macro? I found a 13 pg freecad forum listing. I would like to hear from someone, is this worth the effort to install and setup. Is it working well enough to load a stl, slice, gcode to a memory stick?
Thanks
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I need some help. I installed the 3d printer workbench and when I click on the hammers I don't get any actions. I opened a python screen and nothing going on.
I also installed cura engine.

I wanted to document this install, it seems there's info all over the place. I don't know what to do.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What is the 3d printer workbench? It's not in the addon manager. I have read here from time to time about problems with the cura_engine and didn't hear of any fixes. So it's probably in a state needing some love.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
prandall

Post by prandall »

Anet A8 is a decent printer. Just be careful to actually buy an Anet A8. There are sellers that sell knockoffs ( knockoff of knockoff I guess ). I have gotten one from Omni sold as an Anet A8 and the controller board is crap.
3D Printing, CAD, Electronics and other errata at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/mathcodeprint
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I kind of started here, I guess this is the best way to link?

viewtopic.php?t=7303

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5466

I donwloaded the plugin. I'm not all that good with installations yet. I installed the plugin and there is a listing in the workbench. Maybe I did that wrong.