Spline or curve from list of points

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jt0

Spline or curve from list of points

Post by Jt0 »

Is there a way to create a curve from a list of points? I am trying to model a wing in FreeCAD by sketching the airfoil (cross-section) and then extruding the sketch to create the wing. I am used to SolidWorks, which has a function called "Curve through XYZ" (or something similar) and allows you to specify a list of points with 3D coordinates or to import a list of points from a text file in the following format:
X1,Y1,Z1
X2,Y2,Z2
X3,Y3,Z3
and so on.

I would like to see if there is similar functionality in FreeCAD. Is there a way to import a list of points and interpolate between them to create a sketch?
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Spline or curve from list of points

Post by wandererfan »

Jt0 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 pm Is there a way to create a curve from a list of points? I am trying to model a wing in FreeCAD by sketching the airfoil (cross-section) and then extruding the sketch to create the wing. I am used to SolidWorks, which has a function called "Curve through XYZ" (or something similar) and allows you to specify a list of points with 3D coordinates or to import a list of points from a text file in the following format:
X1,Y1,Z1
X2,Y2,Z2
X3,Y3,Z3
and so on.

I would like to see if there is similar functionality in FreeCAD. Is there a way to import a list of points and interpolate between them to create a sketch?
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Macro_A ... _%26_Scale might be of use.

Don't know of a Gui command, but Draft.makeBSpline(pointslist) in Python should do it.
Jt0

Re: Spline or curve from list of points

Post by Jt0 »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but the linked macro was exactly what I needed. Thanks!