Placement using spreadsheet values...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DAP

Re: Placement using spreadsheet values...

Postby DAP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I had an idea I was going to try, but now FreeCAD is crashing.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13515 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: e17b340949b75a226cc7d89989b0aa238ccfc75f
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I installed the latest version on windows, but it is still crashing.

The way to cause the crash is to open the attached PhoneStand.FCStd, then select the Part Design Workbench. Instant crash.
If I select the Part Design workbench first, then load the file, I can get as far as selecting create sketch, and selecting the YZ plane, but clicking on OK causes FreeCAD to crash.
I'll try this on the Linux version when I get home.

This may have been a "Windows" thing. I noticed my center screen was glitching, so I rebooted my computer and it seems to be working. This is strange because I uninstalled the older version of FreeCAD, then Rebooted Then installed the latest version of FreeCAD, and it was unstable until I rebooted again.
Windows is weird.
Attachments
PhoneStand.FCStd
(208.54 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
dbecad

Postby dbecad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Dap,
You file is not crashing FC for me, so maybe it's a windows?
On side note, thanks for sharing that phone holder shape, I recently tried to reproduce it myself with revolutions and symmetries, it was a good exercise :D
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28202
Cheers

====

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13509 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 0258808ccb6ba3bd5ea9312f79cd023f1a8671b7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
DAP

Postby DAP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm

I found a way to do what I want, but boy is it ugly. I ended up creating a sketch, then modifying the angle and position of the sketch (having to calculate the position and angle by hand as if I were using OpenSCAD) and pocketing off the bottom of my object (again at an angle), creating a sketch on the new surface than doing a hull to get the foot. This would have been much easier if there were some way to translate and rotate all of the earlier object so that I could finish the design in a different coordinate system than I started with.
Feet.png
Feet.png (118.65 KiB) Viewed 173 times
One thing I'd like to do better is that I'd like to be able to transfer the edge of the sliced off bottom to an outline in the sketch directly rather than having to trace it approximately. Is there a way to do this?
Attachments
PhoneStand.FCStd
(401.69 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
dbecad

Postby dbecad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 pm

You can use External geometry copy tool:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_External
Cheers
DAP

Postby DAP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 am

dbecad wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 pm
You can use External geometry copy tool:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_External
Cheers
I am aware of this, and I did this, but this is not the same a importing that edge into the sketch. You can only use that data as a reference, you can't use that directly. When all that is there is circular arc, and lines, this is not difficult to copy, but what about splines?
If you look at my design, (I think it was sketch 6) you will find that since I was in a hurry, I used a straight line to approximate one of the spline curves. It would be better if I could clone that spline curve into the sketch and use it as part of the outline.
DAP

Postby DAP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:09 am

I had the bright idea that if I did an common boolean on an over-sized cube (big enough to fully contain my object) with the cube being the recipient body, I could translate and rotate my object body first, and end up with a new body with the part in the correct location.
After many failed attempts I finally figured out that I must clone my object first, and use the clone.
I verified that the clone was shifted the same as the original, but when I did the boolean, the result jumped back to the original position of the original object. It appears that the boolean operation on bodies completely ignores the location an rotation information in the tool bodies.

This is really frustrating. Every time I think I found a way to do what I want, I find the tool does not work the way I think it does.

It is getting weirder.
I removed the offset from the original body, and instead put the offset in the clone (even though when I cloned the offset body, the clone had the same offset). This time the result was properly shifted.
I have some more tests to run...

I was wrong, it does not matter where I try and shift the object, after the boolean operation, the result is back to the original location.
Even though the body container can be moved and rotated Boolean operations on that body ignore the offsets and angles.
Last edited by DAP on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbecad

Postby dbecad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 am

Yeah I see,
I found a topic that i remembered reading a while ago:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27780
I have not tried, but it might be working for what you want by changing the type of the external geometry? keep us updated if that worked ;)
Cheers
DAP

Postby DAP » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:15 am

dbecad wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 am
Yeah I see,
I found a topic that i remembered reading a while ago:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27780
I have not tried, but it might be working for what you want by changing the type of the external geometry? keep us updated if that worked ;)
Cheers
Yes, that is what I want, or at least the ability to copy external geometry, and paste it as normal geometry. Neither are allowed in the current software.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 am

DAP wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:15 am
Yes, that is what I want, or at least the ability to copy external geometry, and paste it as normal geometry. Neither are allowed in the current software.
There is a pull request concerning this, waiting for approval.