v 16 / 17 help

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mack5

v 16 / 17 help

Post by mack5 »

hi
today I can not open v16 or v17 on my pc, I tried to start a new drawing in the part workbench but none of the menu items or work benchs are displayed at the top of the page like before at all. I do get the grid pattern displayed on the screen.

my virus director (web root) did pick up a virus that show up suddenly so I removed it but now free cad will not open.

do I need to reinstall free cad?

I have 10 different drawings all done in v 16 from the past that I can open but when they open still no menu items or work benches show at the top .

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks

windows 10
Willem
Veteran

Re: v 16 / 17 help

Post by Willem »

Hi, first thing to try is to delete the system.cfg and the user.cfg file. When starting the program after deletion Freecad creates new cfg files with the standard settings
mack5

Post by mack5 »

hi

after using v 16 for a while and making many drawings using it I got new widows updates and removing a virus now v 16 will not work.

I re loaded v 16 64 bit and v 17, 64 bit now was before after some new windows up dates, when I open v 16 I only get the part work bench menus' no other work benches open or show on the menu,

when I open v 17 I get micro work bench but no other work benches show.

I can open a new drawing in both version and get the menus for part workbench but no other work benches show. in v 17 I only get the micro menus.

so were can I find the old v 16 at to re load it?

when I search for system.cfg and user.cfg in the windows search menu i can not find the files in the windows folder, is there a free cad folder?

thanks ever one

windows 10 home edition
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mack5 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 am when I search for system.cfg and user.cfg in the windows search menu i can not find the files in the windows folder, is there a free cad folder?
It's a hidden folder, read here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... rt_anymore
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.