Create inner path for letters?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
caseyryan

Create inner path for letters?

Post by caseyryan »

Hi!
I'm trying to create path for letters (it's gonna be a gcode file for plasma cutter). But the problem is that I can't create Contour for inner closed shapes. Look at this screenshots http://prntscr.com/j8jesn
http://prntscr.com/j8jfin
I tried to google for the solution but all in vain :(
Can somebody, please, explain how to do this in freecad (if possible)?
Last edited by caseyryan on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Create inner path for letters?

Post by chrisb »

We can't see your image! Please follow the IMPORTANT: ... link above. It says IMPORTANT and is on a red background because it is IMPORTANT!
You find there how to upload images. If you have to use an external service please use the Preview button to verify before you post. Furthermore you learn how to attach your FreeCAD info. In many cases this is important.

Concerning your issue: If it is a font, you can use the Engraving tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
caseyryan

Post by caseyryan »

chrisb wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 am We can't see your image! Please follow the IMPORTANT: ... link above. It says IMPORTANT and is on a red background because it is IMPORTANT!
You find there how to upload images. If you have to use an external service please use the Preview button to verify before you post. Furthermore you learn how to attach your FreeCAD info. In many cases this is important.

Concerning your issue: If it is a font, you can use the Engraving tool.
Sorry, the image hosting I used doesn't seem to support BB codes, I should have checked it. I've changed them to the hosting direct links.
Thanks for the advice with engraving, but it seems like not what I need. What if I want to mill padded text?
I'm sure there is a solution to this, but I've been using freecad for only one day now, so I'm surely missing on some important thing
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

caseyryan wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:02 pm What if I want to mill padded text?
I'm sure there is a solution to this, but I've been using freecad for only one day now, so I'm surely missing on some important thing
So you should get acquainted with FreeCAD and Path workbench and then mill the padded text like any other pad. There is nothing special with it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
caseyryan

Post by caseyryan »

chrisb wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:16 pm So you should get acquainted with FreeCAD and Path workbench and then mill the padded text like any other pad. There is nothing special with it.
That's why I'm here. There are tons of information on how to create text and objects in FreeCAD but nothing about making path on inner shapes like this (or at least it's very hard to google some).
Your advice with Engraving worked for a flat text, thanks! But how can a make contour for extruded text?
Look at this screenshot
FreeCAD doesn't want to make a pocket here, neither it does a contour. And I don't need it to be a pocket. I just want parts like this to be cut out just like the outer side. I tried all of the tools available on the Path workbench. None of them helped.
How can I do this? I'd be very grateful if somebody helped me figure this out
p.s. I'm using FreeCAD 0.17 x64 on Windows 7 Pro
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

caseyryan wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 am I'd be very grateful if somebody helped me figure this out
If you upload a file with the R it makes things easier for us.
caseyryan

Post by caseyryan »

Sure. I've attached the project and the font I used for it
Attachments
Files.zip
(180.23 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

caseyryan wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am Sure. I've attached the project and the font I used for it
I can have a look at it tonight (which will be in aprroximately 5 hours).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The normal procedure would be to select the inner faces of the R and apply a "Path Pocket from face". But alas, it doesn't work. I get the message

PathPocketShape.ERROR: Pocket does not support shape Base-Extrude001.Face22

Besides, you should not post backup files ending on some number but rather the FCStd file itself
oldmachine

Post by oldmachine »

Briefly reading the posts leaves me unclear on the problem. However, I have no problem creating Paths for texts (using v17 on Mac).

Can do it with various approaches from Face, Edges...etc. Attached example used the Path 3D Contour tool. It was quickly done and does not reflect cleanup's/etc to make it pretty....

In order to do a pocket, your tool-bit must be small enough to actually machine it (can't put 1/4" bit into 1/8" hole... so to speak)

Image and file attached...

[ADDED IMAGE of it done with Paths based on Edges
MAC OSX Sierra
3D Parts & Links (made using FreeCad and Solidworks): https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
Android App & Links: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bestknots