Crash when switching workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
georgeb

Crash when switching workbench

Post by georgeb »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13515 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: e17b340949b75a226cc7d89989b0aa238ccfc75f
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

Hello,

I seem to have an issue with FreeCAD where the whole program crashes without an error when I switch workbench.

It doesn't happen every time though - it can happen switching from Start -> Part design (probably about 75% of the time with the attached file). Or sometimes later, e.g. when creating a sketch, or switching to Spreadsheet.

Does anyone else have the same issue with this file, or is it something to do with my computer?
-> to test, just open FreeCAD, open this document, try to switch to part design - if it works close FreeCAD and try again - if it works 3 or 4 times then you don't have the same issue!

Cheers,

George

EDIT: If I go to file/open then it appears to be ok, but if I open from 'Recent' then it crashes on workbench switch.
Attachments
Test.FCStd
(6.03 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Crash when switching workbench

Post by chrisb »

georgeb wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 pm EDIT: If I go to file/open then it appears to be ok, but if I open from 'Recent' then it crashes on workbench switch.
you can try deleting or moving your config files. We had recently seen here some problems with it and the recent files list is stored in there. Do you still use 0.16 in parallel?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

Thanks - I think that has fixed the crash when switching from Start -> Part Design for loading from the Recent section. I only have this version of FreeCAD installed - no running in parallel.

The next (hopefully) repeatable crash:

On the same file, create body, create sketch, click xy plane and I get the same type of crash (FreeCAD closes, no error). Again this isn't every time but more often than not.

EDIT: Jumped the gun - sorry. Both of these issues only appear to relate to file loaded from Recent section, even after deleting config files.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No problems here (MacOS version). Can you start FreeCAD from the commandline wit the -l parameter and post the output and the log file here? Do you have enough memory in your computer?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

I'm not sure it's actually logging anything - on this example it actually successfully opened Part Design, and then crashed when I switched to Sketcher straight after, using the drop down menu not trying to create a sketch.

I have 8gb ram, 22.5gb free hdd space (not ideal I know)

I can work around the issue by just using file/open - so it isn't really an issue for me, although would obviously be good to get to the bottom of it. I've been working for a few hours on it and not had any issues (using file/open) - it does appear to be related only to the Recent files section.
Attachments
FreeCAD.log
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 44 times