How to use M function in polyline

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to use M function in polyline

Post by chrisb »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:57 am Is the final file of video tutorial 05a supposed to have 2 "Revolutions" and 2 features named "sketch"?
No.
If not, does anyone know I got double features of the same thing?
You must have created two revolutions yourself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am
FC-Architecter wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:57 am Is the final file of video tutorial 05a supposed to have 2 "Revolutions" and 2 features named "sketch"?
No.
If not, does anyone know I got double features of the same thing?
You must have created two revolutions yourself.
this brings up 2 questions

1. Shouldn't the second sketch be called sketch001, unless only a second revolution was made from the same sketch?

2. I could solve this problem just be deleting Revolution001 and the second copy of sketch.
No, I just tried this. When I deleted the second sketch it messed up the whole file. The second revolution Revolution001 is still in tree view and it cannot be deleted. I get an error message and then "No Profile Linked"
DELETING_2ND_SKETCH_DOES_NOT_WORK.png
DELETING_2ND_SKETCH_DOES_NOT_WORK.png (23.99 KiB) Viewed 585 times
05a_2SKETCH.fcstd
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

When you first posted this file a couple of days ago I tried it and deleted Revolution001. Everything worked fine.

As I recall from the dependency graph there was only one sketch. When you deleted "Sketch" you killed the first revolution as well.

Gene
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm When you first posted this file a couple of days ago I tried it and deleted Revolution001. Everything worked fine.

As I recall from the dependency graph there was only one sketch. When you deleted "Sketch" you killed the first revolution as well.

Gene
I just checked this file again and in tree view sketch shows up twice, which I thought was not supposed to happen. In Dependency Graph there is only one sketch. In both tree view and the graph there are 2 revolutions.

I junked this file and started over. My last attempt worked out.

2_copies_of sketch.png
2_copies_of sketch.png (21.6 KiB) Viewed 565 times
2_REVOLUTIONS_1_SKETCH.png
2_REVOLUTIONS_1_SKETCH.png (28.39 KiB) Viewed 565 times
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

You have repeated Revolution, you can delete one, delete Revolution and keep Revolution001, do not worry about sketches
tutorial.png
tutorial.png (125.98 KiB) Viewed 559 times
tutorial1.png
tutorial1.png (28.09 KiB) Viewed 559 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm I just checked this file again and in tree view sketch shows up twice, which I thought was not supposed to happen. In Dependency Graph there is only one sketch.
This is new in v0.17, if an object is linked twice, it will be displayed twice in the tree. This way we can know where an object is being used. Previously, the newer feature (Revolution001) would claim the sketch, and the older feature (Revolution) would lose it in the tree, which was confusing, because the sketch was still linked to the older feature, but the relation was not shown in the tree.

We're talking sketches here, but this is the case too for other types of objects. In this specific case, you most probably duplicated Revolution, and the second one was redundant.