How to use M function in polyline

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to use M function in polyline

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 pm @chrisb, can you add this to the wiki https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_Polyline
With pleasure.
I just cycle through, but I know what I am looking for, I've never memorized the order.
Same here...
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 pmWith pleasure.
Another nugget of gold :)
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 pm
sgrogan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 pm @chrisb, can you add this to the wiki https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_Polyline
Done. Do you think it needs images to show what the words say?

There is one thing, that I'm not sure of, it might be a detail which I am unable to understand as a non native english speaker. It is always said in the wiki and in the forum as well, that you have to hit the M key. In fact it's the lower key, so should it rather be "the m key" or
would the capital version be noted as "Shift+M key"?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:42 pm Done. Do you think it needs images to show what the words say?
Words look good to me.
chrisb wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:42 pm There is one thing, that I'm not sure of, it might be a detail which I am unable to understand as a non native english speaker. It is always said in the wiki and in the forum as well, that you have to hit the M key. In fact it's the lower key, so should it rather be "the m key" or
would the capital version be noted as "Shift+M key"?
The key is "M" the character is "m", IMO.

And thanks for adding this.
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 pm The key is "M" the character is "m", IMO.
Looking at the keyboard you are perfectly right, and I'm glad I changed the wiki docs from the "letter M" to the "key M"

And thanks for adding this.
Community projects work only with community effort.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

FC-Architecter wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:37 pm Just tried to set the vertical distance between the x axis and the spokes at 25.4 mm, as the tutorial says. minute 6:50

But it came out with the vertical spokes much too elongated as you can see in the file.
Yes - that is one valid solution to solve the Sketch, but it is not the one we want. It happens because there should be a Horizontal Constraint applied to that line segment. But, if you try to apply a Horizontal Constraint there, in the Sketcher Messages area you'll see that this is a Redundant Constraint and you are asked to delete it. Instead, delete the Equality Constraint #43. Because of all the other Constraints in the Sketch, this segment is forced to be equal in length to its twin segment on the other side.

Now you can apply the last Distance Constraint by selecting the right endpoints of the horizontal line segments (just as you had tried to do before) to set the vertical distance of the inside of the pulley cheeks.

Notice that instead of doing any of the things I mentioned above, you can instead open Sketch in that last model you posted, select the vertical line segment, and apply the Vertical Distance Constraint to solve the last Degree Of Freedom and thereby Fully Constrain the Sketch.

Another option is to instead select the left endpoints of the horizontal line segments and apply the Vertical Distance Constraint.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 pm I have revisited the tutorial and I still fully agree with a previous post of mine stating that these tutorials are among the best and most detailed FreeCAD tutorials I know. It is almost unbelievable that you have so many problems with them.
Did you work through the other tutorials before?
Yes, I went through them.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:56 pm ....
Yes - that is one valid solution to solve the Sketch, but it is not the one we want. It happens because there should be a Horizontal Constraint applied to that line segment. But, if you try to apply a Horizontal Constraint there, in the Sketcher Messages area you'll see that this is a Redundant Constraint and you are asked to delete it. Instead, delete the Equality Constraint #43. ....

Now you can apply the last Distance Constraint by selecting the right endpoints of the horizontal line segments (just as you had tried to do before) to set the vertical distance of the inside of the pulley cheeks.

Notice that instead of doing any of the things I mentioned above, you can instead open Sketch in that last model you posted, select the vertical line segment, and apply the Vertical Distance Constraint to solve the last Degree Of Freedom and thereby Fully Constrain the Sketch.

Another option is to instead select the left endpoints of the horizontal line segments and apply the Vertical Distance Constraint.
I deleted Equality Constraint 43.
Then set the horizontal distance between flange cheeks at 41. 275. That solved the problem of the distance between flange cheeks, BUT

the same line segment -- the inner flange cheek segment -- went diagonal in the other direction.

I still have one degree of freedom. My solution here would be:

1) make a vertical distance constraint on the inner line of the flange cheeks, as you mention above.

2) put a horizontal constraint on the line segment. <--- I just did this on my guinea-pig copy file and it works! The sketch is fully constrained. This is not one of the solutions you mentioned. I hope I will not run into trouble later with this.

FLANGE_CHEEK_LINE.png
FLANGE_CHEEK_LINE.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 951 times
SUCCESS_MAYBE.png
SUCCESS_MAYBE.png (43.46 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Last edited by FC-Architecter on Thu May 10, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Alright, here is a bit of a radical thought.

It is sometimes difficult to follow someone else's instructions, even if it is a suburb tutorial by bejant. You may be repeatedly making some simple mistake or misunderstanding some action in the tutorial.

You have undoubtedly learned a lot by now about the workings of the FreeCAD sketcher.

Why not start some project of your own and see if it works for you?

Come back to the forum with any questions. As you have seen, there are lots of folks here willing to help. I believe that most helpers, however, have just about run out of gas regarding the current issues you are having with the tutorial.

Gene
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

GeneFC wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:37 pm ....
Is there some important reason that an executable file is created every time I save an FC file?

Or is that just a permissions issue at my end?