Sheet Metal bending

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal bending

Post by NormandC »

I think there are two separate issues :

• FreeCAD has an underlying weakness regarding internal topological identification. Basically, vertices, edges and faces are assigned ID numbers randomly. When you change a property, the object is recomputed, and if the number of faces changes, then the previously existing faces see their ID change. This is why you see unexpected results when you change the gap properties of BendRight. The following bends are not aware that the ID of the face to which they were applied has changed. So they try to apply themselves to totally different faces. (Currently, two FreeCAD developers are working on solutions to address that, but it will take time before the solutions are implemented in FreeCAD).
  • The Sheet Metal workbench add-on does not provide a way to reassign a bend to a different face, which would allow you to repair the model. This could be a feature request to https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_SheetMetal/issues
Last edited by NormandC on Sun May 06, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

NormandC wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 pm This could be a feature request
Done: [FR] Allow editing the source face for Bend or Extend feature #32
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Pls refer last post. I modified SheetMetalCmd.py to do some editing capabilities for problem due adding or removing gaps. But It will not work in Part design since setedit() not supported in partdesign.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 1&start=10
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks for the info, but surely there must be a way to make this functionality compatible with PartDesign using some other mechanism? After all, PartDesign features can be edited.

Personally I have no interest in using Sheet Metal outside of the PartDesign workbench. It has got way too many advantages over the Part workbench.
Lars

Post by Lars »

NormandC wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 pm I think there are two separate issues :

• FreeCAD has an underlying weakness regarding internal topological identification. Basically, vertices, edges and faces are assigned ID numbers randomly. When you change a property, the object is recomputed, and if the number of faces changes, then the previously existing faces see their ID change. This is why you see unexpected results when you change the gap properties of BendRight. The following bends are not aware that the ID of the face to which they were applied has changed. So they try to apply themselves to totally different faces. (Currently, two FreeCAD developers are working on solutions to address that, but it will take time before the solutions are implemented in FreeCAD).
  • The Sheet Metal workbench add-on does not provide a way to reassign a bend to a different face, which would allow you to repair the model. This could be a feature request to https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_SheetMetal/issues
Good morning all,
Thank you for your fulfilling response to this issue for modifing and editing bends designed with the sheet metal workbench.
If I understand correctly, bends are currently not editable nor in the 1) part workbench or 2) part design workbench?

In addition, the sheet metal workbench unfold functionality is sensitive to the way cuts are implemented in bends. Somehow, the unfold feature is not working with cuts made with the part workhench, see example here which fails to unfold (https://rushfiles.one/client/publiclink ... zPtZF46QMV
). suggestions for introducing cuts are very welcome.

BR
Lars
Best regards

Lars
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Rather than to post your drawing on a site, post it directly as attachments
meme2704
Veteran