Polar pattern?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chris s

Polar pattern?

Post by chris s »

I have a part which I want to replicate as a polar pattern, but as it is not a feature on a part I cant use the polar pattern feature or can I?

The part profile was sketched in the YZ plane, then made into a pad. Then I want to replicate it 8 times around the Z axis but cannot find any way to do it.
schupin

Re: Polar pattern?

Post by schupin »

You can certainly do it with the "array" tool in the draft workbench.
dbecad

Post by dbecad »

chris s wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 pm I have a part which I want to replicate as a polar pattern, but as it is not a feature on a part I cant use the polar pattern feature or can I?
Good day Chris,

That's a good question, I've had various degree of success trying to create a solid from a radial pattern of shapes that should result in a solid. I think the problem is that the Part-design WP tool does not work very well with parallel faces and it will let you do it some time but not consistently. A way to do it is, if you can model the whole external shape first, then carve the repeated holes inside, it should work.

The doc for the tool refers the this limitation on the mirrored feature (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/PartDesign_Mirrored)
The Mirrored feature cannot mirror a whole solid body.
It's regrettable that we have to use a tool from another WB and create a mess in the object tree when it would be so nice to just stay in the part-design workflow and have a single body.

Edit:
I made a small test and the polar pattern worked on the whole body. You can change the number of slice from the spreadsheet and the sketch & pattern will follow. So I guess you can try it?

Cheers

====

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13509 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 0258808ccb6ba3bd5ea9312f79cd023f1a8671b7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
polarTest.FCStd
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chris s wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 pm I have a part which I want to replicate as a polar pattern, but as it is not a feature on a part I cant use the polar pattern feature or can I?

The part profile was sketched in the YZ plane, then made into a pad. Then I want to replicate it 8 times around the Z axis but cannot find any way to do it.
Its really simple, and has been asked numerous times, the intent/purpose of PartDesign WB is to make only single contiguous solids. In the long term the official Assembly workbench would be then used on that solid for things like an Array. However the official Assembly WB does not yet exist.

For an array of a feature of a single solid, you can use PartDesign Pattern features. For example, a pattern of holes in a flange.

For an Array of non-overlapping individual solids, use Draft WB Array tool. If the Array of solids overlap each other then you can set the Draft Array Fuse property to "true" so that the output would be a valid single solid.
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Hi, I maybe found a problem? Every time i am attempting to do a polar pattern od numbers do not compute proper.
I like 9 blades on my pseudo fan, 10 are no problem but 7 and 9... are a problem! (File is attached)

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25429 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hashish: acce57a25d82b0408fa07b9452ed31c8a06c7a1b
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

Attachments
Failing od numbers polar pattern.FCStd
(71.12 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

NécroPost ? :twisted:
Create your own post (eventualy refering to this one)
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:arrow:
Attachments
Failing odd numbers polar pattern _SHALM.FCStd
(38.06 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

The overlapping arcs on the ends of the sketches apparently cause problems when they are transformed by OCC. Probably a bug, but not much we can do about it.

I used a similar approach as Shalmeneser, except I added a central hub or post. Pull the blade sketches away from the origin so they do not overlap when arrayed.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.58 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

Gene
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:55 pm The overlapping arcs on the ends of the sketches apparently cause problems when they are transformed by OCC. Probably a bug, but not much we can do about it.
You think or you know ?
I used a similar approach as Shalmeneser, except I added a central hub or post. Pull the blade sketches away from the origin so they do not overlap when arrayed.
File ?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:03 pm You think or you know ?
I know nothing of course, but this sort of strangeness often is blamed on seams, overlaps, rounding errors, and so on.

I did not see anything wrong with the original FCStd file, and that is why I do not believe the OP did anything wrong or that FreeCAD had an internal error.

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:03 pm File ?
Didn't save it.

Gene