plan de coupe et mise en plan

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jeanartemis

plan de coupe et mise en plan

Postby jeanartemis » Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Hello everyone,

That's my problem:
I have a stl file (a woman bust).
I want to make regular sectional planes perpendicular to the front view and vertical to recover the contours in a layout for example.
These cutting planes will be used to cut with a CNC milling machine in planks to assemble them and thus restore the bust.
How can I retrieve these contours?

I do not know this software at all, I tried with solidworks that I know well but nothing works.
My file is 38 MB and I can not reach him, how?
If anyone could help me .....
Thanks in advance...

Bonjour à tous,

Voilà mon problème :
J'ai un fichier stl (un buste de femme).
Je souhaite faire des plans de coupe réguliers perpendiculaires à la vue de face et verticaux pour récupérer les contours dans une mise en plans par exemple.
Ces plans de coupe vont me servir à faire de la découpe avec une fraiseuse CN dans des planches pour pouvoir les assembler et ainsi reconstituer le buste.
Comment puis-je faire pour récupérer ces contours ?

Je ne connais pas du tout ce logiciel, j'ai essayé avec solidworks que je connais bien mais rien y fait.
Mon fichier fait 38 Mo et je n'arrive pas à le joindre, comment faire ?
Si quelqu'un pouvait m'aider.....
Merci par avance...
Tilli

Re: plan de coupe et mise en plan

Postby Tilli » Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 pm

jeanartemis wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 pm
Hello everyone . . . a stl file (a woman bust) . . . regular sectional planes perpendicular to the front view and vertical to recover the contours . . . to cut with a CNC milling machine in planks to assemble them and thus restore the bust . . . I do not know this software at all . . .
Hi and welcome to the forums.

DISCLAIMER : I'm still a newbie with FreeCAD too. I know nothing of STL either. But worth suggesting that you read the conspicuous red IMPORTANT INFO above. The local gurus are busy people, and all volunteers, and that's why they've already requested a few things to help them to help us. In particular they like to know exactly which version and in which O.S.

From reading lots (though understanding little) I do know that the local FreeCAD ninjas love scripting things with Python. Maybe they could help you have a repeating twin-block Boolean-Cut operation that traverses the model giving you your slices, not dissimilar to a microscopy-lab's microtome output, and maybe somehow project them as technical drawings for the exact contours..?

Interested to hear/see how it turns out.

Just a thought.

:)
jeanartemis

Postby jeanartemis » Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Thank you for your reply.
As you have probably noticed, I am French and I am working with a translator.
I realize that it will be too complicated for me to manage both the language and my little project.
Again thank you and nice evening

Merci de m'avoir répondu.
Comme vous l'avez surement constaté, je suis français et je fonctionne avec un traducteur.
Je m'apperçoie que cela va être trop compliqué pour moi de gérer à la fois la langue et mon petit projet.
Encore merci et agréable soirée
Tilli

Postby Tilli » Thu May 10, 2018 10:34 pm

jeanartemis wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 pm
. . . je suis français et je fonctionne avec un traducteur . . .
J'ai oublie ma francais de l'ecole :( ... mais je sais que il y a un Forum Français.

Bon Chance!

:)
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 pm

jeanartemis wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 pm
As you have probably noticed, I am French and I am working with a translator.
There is a french subforum.
Il y a un FreeCAD forum française: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=12
dbecad

Postby dbecad » Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 pm

jeanartemis,
Welcome to the forum, it is definitely possible with freecad, but you need to "get your hands dirty" and dive in scripting territory.
I've only been using FC for a few weeks, but I was itching to try to give back to the community a bit. So I started to work on the cross section macro to make it work with my project (0.18 with body and parts) and so because the changes were pretty small to do a multi cuts like Tilli is talking about so I gave it a try. Here is my first script contribution...

I hope you can understand the english it's easier for me to type than in french but we could work a translation later :ugeek:

So here is a proposal with a bust of another nice lady (don't judge ok!):
1/import the STL with file/Import, it will create a mesh
2/ select the workbench "Part" in the drop down menu
3/ select the mesh object in the tree and use the part/"create shape from mesh" tool
this will create a shape that can be sliced later
yoda1.png
yoda1.png (62.09 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Then download the macro file joined
4/ from the menu macro/macros, browse to the folder of the macro, select it and run
5/ go grab a coffee especially if the model is large...
6/ the slices will be created in a cross section object
yoda2.png
yoda2.png (55.5 KiB) Viewed 343 times
You can then export them to DXF:
7/ select the cross section object then file/export to DXF or other format that your CNC is taking
8/ you will have to move the slices to separate them and they are not numbered so it's going to be a pain...
but hey that was only 20min of fooling around python and I'm not a pro so...
yoda3.png
yoda3.png (41.84 KiB) Viewed 343 times
The macro is all hard coded, but you can change the orientation of the slice by editing:
self.axisX = 0.0
self.axisY = 0.0
self.axisZ = 1.0

And the number of slice is controlled by:
numSlice = 10

I would recommend you try on a simple model first to make sure everything is working for you.
Also I should probably make something to lay out the slice nicely to help with the laser cutter/cnc later but no time today...
I will start a git-hub to keep track of all these things...

Credit to all the authors of the cross section macro that made my job easier!
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Macro_cross_section

Cheers

======
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13509 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 0258808ccb6ba3bd5ea9312f79cd023f1a8671b7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a