[solved, was a non-planar Dwire] closed Dwire not making face (0.17)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cram

[solved, was a non-planar Dwire] closed Dwire not making face (0.17)

Post by cram »

Trying to draw a Dwire in this drawing/model, have linked here as too large to post in forum
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PYg2C ... 5LC__W_1Od

The Dwire will not make face, tried selecting the 'make face' and toggled from 'true' to 'false' and 'true' again, have selected it to recompute and also to the whole model to recompute and executed both which has not made any difference. The Dwire is closed, I have been using the 'close' option to make sure the wire is a closed loop. There is no errors reported in report view.
If I create a total new drawing and create a Dwire I can get the Dwire with face and toggle the face on and off.

Screenshot below of the Dwire I wish to make face of. It is selected and shows highlighted in green.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12920 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8faa9f38bb70a598afc2bc39ea1645d416ab057e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Attachments
Dwire.jpg
Dwire.jpg (354.63 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Last edited by jmaustpc on Sat May 12, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [solved, was a non-planar Dwire] to topic title
jaisejames

Re: closed Dwire not making face (0.17)

Post by jaisejames »

I think draft require wire to be coplanar to make face[check front & top view to understand the coplanar issue] & same for extrude also.

You can make face from Part workbench ->shape builder from menu or advanced utility to create shape icon -> select face from edge option, then select all edges, it will create a face.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

The Dwire is not closed the left under edge is open
Schermafdruk van 2018-05-11 12-33-24.png
Schermafdruk van 2018-05-11 12-33-24.png (188.58 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
cram

Post by cram »

Willem wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 am The Dwire is not closed the left under edge is openSchermafdruk van 2018-05-11 12-33-24.png
Ok that is weird, isn't it? I chose the 'close' button under the Dwire dialog to 'close and finish' Dwire .

What's even more perculiar is that when I open that back up and look/zoom in the Dwire is closed there is no gap.
Last edited by cram on Fri May 11, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cram

Post by cram »

jaisejames wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:42 am I think draft require wire to be coplanar to make face[check front & top view to understand the coplanar issue] & same for extrude also.

You can make face from Part workbench ->shape builder from menu or advanced utility to create shape icon -> select face from edge option, then select all edges, it will create a face.

Ok I will try that. Thank you.

This worked thank you
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

The Dwire is open. It looks like it is closed when Structure001 is visible.
cram

Post by cram »

Willem wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:23 pm The Dwire is open. It looks like it is closed when Structure001 is visible.
Hey Willem, I'm unsure again why it shows that way for you, as when I open it on my machine and hide objects in its background, the loop is closed.

Here is another screenshot
Attachments
Dwire_otherhidden.jpg
Dwire_otherhidden.jpg (269.64 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

cram wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:24 pm
Willem wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:23 pm The Dwire is open. It looks like it is closed when Structure001 is visible.
Hey Willem, I'm unsure again why it shows that way for you, as when I open it on my machine and hide objects in its background, the loop is closed.

The problem is that you have a Dwire that is impossible to create a planar surface from. If you try to create a surface from edges in the Part WB it appears to work but a Part Check Geometry will show that it is in fact invalid.

The problem is that all your X-axis values are all over the place so the resulting surface would have to be twisted or something, but just can't possibly make a flat planar surface.

For example, hide everything except your Dwire, then click front view then zoom in and out, you should be only able to see what looks like a straight vertical line but it looks like a triangle, because your X values are not consistent so the rear corner is off to the right where as it should be hiddend directly behind when viewed from Front View. Also if you hover the mouse over each corner and view the displayed xyz values in the bottom of the window, you will see that the values don't make sense.

Generally for what you are trying to do, you would normally snap to a working plane so that all points sit on that plane, but you can also just manually edit all the x values.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13674 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 32f089f28408479ce65a22a753bb815ffe3d45ed
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
cram

Re: [solved, was a non-planar Dwire] closed Dwire not making face (0.17)

Post by cram »

Ok thank you for the explanation jmaustpc.

I had tried to used a datum plane initially but was getting message about 'links out of scope' or simlar.
yorik
Founder

Re: [solved, was a non-planar Dwire] closed Dwire not making face (0.17)

Post by yorik »

FYI it is possible to force-flatten a Draft Wire from python using DraftGeomUtils.flattenWire()
Maybe this should become a GUI tool somehow... Not sure where to add it, though.