Creating a simple part with PartDesign tutorial I'm stuck

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BlaiseDarveaux

Creating a simple part with PartDesign tutorial I'm stuck

Post by BlaiseDarveaux »

Hello,

I am having a lot of difficulty with this tutorial. It is easy doing what it asks, but I get different results then what the tutorial says I should be getting. I am using a Mac. Here are the things that have not worked for me until I reach a point I can't continue.

First it says to create a new document and select Part Design workbench. Done. I should get a toolbar, but all I got was the Combo view and a blank blue workspace with no toolbar.

Tutorial says Press Create body. Done, by pressing Create body in Combo view. Still nothing in the workspace, but the Create Body then changes to Create sketch in the Combo view.

Tutorial says to click on the body to rename it. Still nothing in the workspace to click on, so I click on Model tab in the Combo view and it lists a body. I renamed it “Body Part1” in the lower Data half of Combo view.

Tutorial says to press “New sketch” (the icon button). There still is no toolbar so I press the “Create sketch” in the Tasks tab of the Combo view and I get my choice of the three planes. I select the XZ plane like the tutorial says, press OK, and I finally get the grid, origin lines and the Sketch tool bar.

Got the lines drawn. The white lines I drew are very similar to the figure in the tutorial. The only differences are the red marks. My bottom horizontal line does not have a small red line beside it and the small arc that the tutorial mentions, is not on the left; it is near the bottom right corner, which is weird because that point is on the X axis, not the Z axis as the tutorial says it should be.

Got the lines constrained. Now we trace the arc. Tutorial says to place the Arc tool at x = 80 y = 30. However, the y axis is not showing. We are in the XZ plane. The placement should read x = 80 z = 30. I am assuming it was just a typo.

Combo view now says fully constrained and the lines turn green. I save the file.
Sketch.png
Sketch.png (59.38 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Using Pad and Pocket features
The tutorial says to “Click on Close in the combo box, at the top left corner, the Part Design workbench is automatically activated again.” I clicked on Close and I get a blank blue workspace with no toolbar. I select Axonometric view from the Views drop down menu. Still nothing. I select Fit all from the pull down menu. Still nothing

At this point I am stuck. I have no tools and no geometry showing in the work space. I can go to the Modal tab and double click on Sketch and I get the perfect sketch back in Sketch mode, but when I try to close, I get the same blank blue workspace with no toolbar. I’ve gone back and forth with this several times. After several times of this, the Sketch doesn't come back into view. So I quit the program, re-open the file and double click on the Sketch in the Comb view. I got the Sketch back, but get the same results when I click on Close.

I have tried many things to see the 3D modal that the tutorial shows to no avail. And no tool bar even when I select Part Design from the View--> Workbench pull down menu.

Any suggestions? I have attached the file for your inspection. Thanks.

Blaise

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13519 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1a8b868)
Hash: 1a8b868018f45ea486c0023fdbfeb06febc1fb89
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
Basic Part Design.FCStd
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Creating a simple part with PartDesign tutorial I'm stuck

Post by NormandC »

Could you please post a capture of the complete FreeCAD window?

Do you have the standard toolbar with open/save/print/etc. icons? The view toolbar?

If you right-click on the upper window border below the menu, does a contextual menu appears? If yes, what does it list? Are the items listed checked?

BlaiseDarveaux wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:28 am pressing Create body in Combo view. Still nothing in the workspace
A Body is a container, it does not show anything in the 3D view, except its content. It starts with an "Origin" which is hidden by default, otherwise it is empty until you create sketches and features.

Edit: have you tried deleting your config files? https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... rt_anymore
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

BlaiseDarveaux wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:28 am The only differences are the red marks. My bottom horizontal line does not have a small red line beside it and the small arc that the tutorial mentions, is not on the left; it is near the bottom right corner, which is weird because that point is on the X axis, not the Z axis as the tutorial says it should be.

Got the lines constrained. Now we trace the arc. Tutorial says to place the Arc tool at x = 80 y = 30. However, the y axis is not showing. We are in the XZ plane. The placement should read x = 80 z = 30. I am assuming it was just a typo.
Sketches are only 2D and they use their own local coordinate system. So it is common to talk about X direction for the hirizontal and Y direction for the vertical.

The small red marks show the constraints. They are placed automatically and the exact position depends on zoom and perhaps resolution. So it is normal that the appear in different places than shown in the screenshots.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
BlaiseDarveaux

Post by BlaiseDarveaux »

NormandC wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 am Could you please post a capture of the complete FreeCAD window?

Here are two Full Screen shots before and after clicking Close. NOTE that after Close, the top menu bar does not indicate it is in Part Design workbench. I have to get there manually. When I do though, there still is no geometry or Part Design toolbar.
Full Screen before Close.png
Full Screen before Close.png (652.27 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Full Screen after close.png
Full Screen after close.png (477.01 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Do you have the standard toolbar with open/save/print/etc. icons? No.

The view toolbar? The only tool bar I've seen is the minimalist one in the second screen shot above.

If you right-click on the upper window border below the menu, does a contextual menu appears? If yes, what does it list? Are the items listed checked?
Here is what that shows.
Full Screen with right mouse on Menu.png
Full Screen with right mouse on Menu.png (498 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
BlaiseDarveaux wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:28 am pressing Create body in Combo view. Still nothing in the workspace
A Body is a container, it does not show anything in the 3D view, except its content. It starts with an "Origin" which is hidden by default, otherwise it is empty until you create sketches and features.

Edit: have you tried deleting your config files? https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... rt_anymore
I will try that when I get home tonight and have more time. Sorry about the responses in bold. I have to get better at separating the quotes from the responses.

Thank you for all your time and patience. (and ChrisB)

Blaise
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Somehow you have turned off your toolbars, look at the list in your right click context menu, the list at the bottom are your toolbars, all but one don't have a tick so they are disabled. Just click on them and they will come back.

Workbench
File
Etc.

Then look at your Workbench selector which I suspect will show that you had selected Workbench "none". Click on it and select the appropriate Workbench.

However deleting your config file will reset all your settings back to default values next time you start FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It seems you have detached the 3D view window from the rest of FreeCAD. I am sure that deleting your config files will bring things back to normal; on the Mac they live in ~/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tom

Post by tom »

jmaustpc wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 pm Somehow you have turned off your toolbars,
The same thing happens to me regularly. I did not find a pattern yet, when this occurs, but most of the time it happens just after installing a new FreeCAD version. The suddenly all toolbars are gone and I have to reenable them.

BR Thomas

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13645 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1a2868b)
Hash: 1a2868b53493907eadb3165edd7aabb9fdecb227
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shortly after 0.17 became stable I have realized lots of help requests which could be solved by the notrious recommendation to delete the config files. I don't know if some regression took place or if it was simply the fact that many users switched to the new version while keeping the old config files.
tom

Post by tom »

I don't think that the issue is in my case related to a config format change from 0.16 to 0.17, because I regularly lose my toolbars when I update from one 0.17 version to another (or even 0.18). I believe that I also saw the problem without installing a new version. If remember correctly there was a situation, whereI lost my toolbars every time I restarted FC. Then I run it in a debugger, from that point on I could not reproduce the problem any longer. That smells like race condition.
BlaiseDarveaux

Post by BlaiseDarveaux »

tom wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 pm I don't think that the issue is in my case related to a config format change from 0.16 to 0.17, because I regularly lose my toolbars when I update from one 0.17 version to another (or even 0.18). I believe that I also saw the problem without installing a new version. If remember correctly there was a situation, whereI lost my toolbars every time I restarted FC. Then I run it in a debugger, from that point on I could not reproduce the problem any longer. That smells like race condition.
I never had 0.16 or earlier on my machine. I just installed 0.17 about a week ago.

Blaise