Fundamental problem with switching position of shapebinder!

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Fundamental problem with switching position of shapebinder!

Post by DeepSOIC »

anatolli wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 pm If i made a face shapebinder, i can simple switch on the face to put the sketch on it, with the Edges i didnt know how to place the sketch on it. I hope you understand where my problem is.
You can usually achieve it with datum plane.

Make sure you use edges of sketches (usually white), not edges of solids (usually black) for your shapebinders. Otherwise you will run into the same problem (maybe even worse, since there are usually more edges than faces, so numbers are more likely to change).
anatolli

Post by anatolli »

In the meantime i have also tried to make one hole a little bit differnt to the other ==> it works fine. No wrong mapping!
But i am very interesting in working on a more stable workflow, so i am looking forward to your explanations.

thanks
anatolli
anatolli

Post by anatolli »

So how to put the Datum plane on the shapebinder line? I have tried it, but didnt get sucess on the attached File. On xy plane its no problem, because shapbinder line is on xy. But i want the datum plane to xz plane to draw the "Leg" (german word "Fuss"). If i use the "Object xz" selection in the datum plane menue it will be possitioned on the global (0,0,0) coordinates. But the shapebinder line is located at (-663.5,207,97). How to achieve that the datum plane is shifted to 207?
Attachments
HBLSYML2.FCStd
(35.63 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
anatolli

Post by anatolli »

So the next bug with shapebinder. I have attached the file. I wanted to create a shabebinder from sketch01. Please have a look how the shapebinder002 lines are positioned. They arent on the right coordinates ? Bug?

Edit:
I am sorry to bother you, after i closed the File and reloded it it works like expecting. Recompute doesnt solve it.

thanks
anatolli
Attachments
HBLSYML2Shapebinder.FCStd
(35.1 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by anatolli on Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Use Normal To Edge attachment mode. Pick Y axis, and a vertex of the line (shapebinder).

I recommend you shapebinder-in the whole sketch rather than individual edges. You will have more options for your attachment, and quick access to all other edges, should you realize you need them.

Your design begs for master-sketch approach, IMO. Sketch up some very simple projections for your whole build. Just outlines, without intricate details such as joint geometry. Then construct individual pieces one by one, using that master sketch for datums.
anatolli

Post by anatolli »

@DeepSOIC; thanks for explanations for positioning datum planes ==> sucess!!

I will try to redraw the Modell like your suggestions. If i have done it, i will post it here, maybe you can confirm the drawing.

thanks a lot
anatolli