Imported STEP file only 1 whole mesh instead of multiple meshes.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ctoph

Imported STEP file only 1 whole mesh instead of multiple meshes.

Post by Ctoph »

Hello,

I have received a .step model by a colleague and want to just convert it to an obj file for 3D visualisation purposes.

My problem is that it seems that whenever i want to import the step file, it is just one complete object, rather than divided in its parts as intended. Is this normal? I was only able to export it to 1 single mesh too because of it (i think). It would be cumbersome to seperate each part by hand now so I am wondering if I did something wrong when importing/exporting it.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Imported STEP file only 1 whole mesh instead of multiple meshes.

Post by easyw-fc »

Ctoph wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am My problem is that it seems that whenever i want to import the step file, it is just one complete object, rather than divided in its parts as intended.
please check if you have the option 'Enable STEP Compound merge' checked:
enable-compound-merge.png
enable-compound-merge.png (32.18 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
If so, try to uncheck it and reload the file.
Ctoph

Post by Ctoph »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 am
Ctoph wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am My problem is that it seems that whenever i want to import the step file, it is just one complete object, rather than divided in its parts as intended.
please check if you have the option 'Enable STEP Compound merge' checked:
enable-compound-merge.png

If so, try to uncheck it and reload the file.
Oh, thank you so much! That solved the problem for me :). Finally, do you have tipps on how I can improve the quality detail when exporting an obj? I only found a setting on angles so far but I havent really seen any difference in quality when playing with the value.
simonschmeisser

Post by simonschmeisser »

I have the same problem as Ctoph, I need to split and modify a step file. Unfortunately my Freecad (ubuntu ppa as well as current appimage) does not show the step tab on the import/export page. Am I missing some plugins/libraries or similar? Should I compile from code instead?

Thanks a lot
Simon
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

simonschmeisser wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:37 pm Unfortunately my Freecad (ubuntu ppa as well as current appimage) does not show the step tab on the import/export page
Switch to the Part or Part Design Workbench, then Edit > Preferences , then the Step tab will be there.
"fight the good fight"
simonschmeisser

Post by simonschmeisser »

Wow, that was fast! Thanks a lot! I now found the hint at https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Import_Export but I still think this could be a bit more intuitive ( and why was the default changed from 0.16 anyway?)