Draft Upgrade function does not seem to work at all.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Draft Upgrade function does not seem to work at all.

Post by chrisb »

Wild Penguin wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 pm It's already linked by OP (yes, I'm on topic).
:oops:
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ubiquity

Post by ubiquity »

I have the same issue but using Linux Mint 19 so it is not Windows OS exclusive.
The accompanying image shows, from the large screenshot (background image), the selection of one arc and one line: from the smaller overlay screenshot, the result in the status bar saying "Unable to upgrade these objects".
I assume the message "Unable to upgrade these objects" implies they are not snapped together at end points despite having ensured that end-point snapping is turned on and having observed the snapping circle when constructing the line between the two arcs.
Have repeated this exercise numerous times over the last 2 hours, including shutting FreeCAD down and starting fresh together with a range of ways to select the objects and using both the Upgrade button and the menu option.
The result is always the same as shown.
OS - Linux Mint 19 & Win10 (both 64bit)
IT Training & Support (retired)
Cheers Paul
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ubiquity wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:09 am I have the same issue but using Linux Mint 19 so it is not Windows OS exclusive.
The image does not show. Are you working on the same tutorial as OP?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ubiquity

Post by ubiquity »

Yes I was working on the same tutorial as originally posted, using FreeCAD 64 bit 0.17 using Linux Mint 19
I haven't tried further on my Windows 10 machine because I am trying to put together a course to run on Linux Mint for people new to CAD and/or FreeCAD and the training machines are all Linux machines.
Pending further advice about this problem I have moved to reviewing your new Sketcher tutorial to possibly use in the same course.
It will be some time before I need to run the course as I have decided to use LibreCAD as my introduction to open-source software.
Ultimately the participants, all members of our not-for-profit Men's Shed organisation (most of us are over 50), will need to take the knowledge they gain and apply it on their own machine.
Cheers Paul
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is some precision issue at work here... In the given test.FCStd file above, if I select the 4 unjoinable arcs and do this:

Code: Select all

for o in Gui.Selection.getSelection():
 	print o.Shape.Vertexes[0].Point," -> ",o.Shape.Vertexes[-1].Point
We get this:

Code: Select all

Vector (39.448389378045704, 9.384755001775575, 0.0) -> Vector (20.4070192076625, 9.236904665544753, 0.0)
Vector (38.65192768688936, 8.343807041693056, 0.0) -> Vector (21.56389829995414, 8.561959866447205, 0.0)
Vector (38.651927948, 8.34380722046, 0.0) -> Vector (39.448387146, 9.38475513458, 0.0)
Vector (21.5638980865, 8.56196022034, 0.0) -> Vector (20.4070205688, 9.23690509796, 0.0)
You see for ex. that the first point of the first line is not exactly on the second point of the third line... (And indeed if you zoom very close on the top left corner you can see it in the 3D view).

It is hard to tell what happened, but normally, using the correct snapping tools, the position should be 100% correct...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you turn the lines in 3D view, are they all in the same plane?
ubiquity

Post by ubiquity »

My humble apologies :oops: .
I was confusing the on and off states of the snap buttons, which are all on by default when I start the tutorial from scratch.
Because snapping to grid is on by default it seems that the snapping of the line to the arc is working because of the proximity of the end point of the arc to a grid point. Having turned off all snaps and turned endpoint snapping back on the tutorial does work properly now.
Determining the state of buttons on the various tool bars is sometimes difficult for newbies.
I need to start a thread about button states on the view toolbar since (at least in this Linux Mint window) in the Part workbench it is not obvious which view is selected and with symmetrical objects top and bottom, left and right, front and back may look the same.
Cheers Paul
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Good to hear you got it sorted.

You should remove the FreeCAD version from your signature. If you change the signature in the future it will change in all posts and put them out of context.
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

Looks like Snap settings is one of the areas where new users get lost.
Have been there :oops:
Some of us should probably make some examples on Snapping,
also examples where snap settings are contradicting one and other.

It is basically simple logic, but not so easy to catch when new to fc.

BTW 01
A suggestion could be to implement priority or precedence to the various snaps.
Example: Endpoint could take priority over others and so on.

BTW 02
Would like to be able to have the ability to choose on Draft upgrade.
Upgrading a wire will give Face
An option to be able to upgrade to dWire would be nice.
dWires are easily editable at node level, where as wires are not.

regards
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

ubiquity wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 am about button states on the view toolbar since (at least in this Linux Mint window) in the Part workbench it is not obvious which view is selected and with symmetrical objects top and bottom, left and right, front and back may look the same.
In FreeCAD 0.18 we have a Navigation Cube from which you can see your view (it rotates with the 3D view) and from which you can select or change the view:

Navigation Cube forum thread, while I have it handy:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=20121

You can download FreeCAD 0.18 from here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
FreeCAD 0.16, 0.17, and 0.18 can all co-exist on your computer.