CAD exchanger and FreeCAD

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: CAD exchanger and FreeCAD

Post by easyw-fc »

Cada = CAD Assistant

I think FC has become much faster in STEP handling after vejmarie treatment :)

Have you tried to export the step old without p-curves?

What does Cad-exchanger tell you about the different options to export?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Can one of you please send me the problematic file to have a try?

The upstream step import/export can handle assembly structure just fine, but it does not respect the instance and reference representation. As a result, the import and export process may inflate the file size quite a bit, if the step file contain several complex instances, or simple but large amount of instances, like nuts and bolts, or pins and ball heads in electronic components.

I have rewritten the step import/export code (no disrespect to vejmarie, whose code served as great references), to keep the instance and reference information in the form of Link. And I have spent great effort in the last two weeks to add context based element color and visibility overriding capability to Link. It should now be able to fully support step assembly instance styling.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 pm Can one of you please send me the problematic file to have a try?
only Wilfred could send those by PM, because he asked me not to disclose those.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 pm ping ...
realthunder wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 pm The upstream step import/export can handle assembly structure just fine, but it does not respect the instance and reference representation. As a result, the import and export process may inflate the file size quite a bit, if the step file contain several complex instances, or simple but large amount of instances, like nuts and bolts, or pins and ball heads in electronic components.

I have rewritten the step import/export code (no disrespect to vejmarie, whose code served as great references), to keep the instance and reference information in the form of Link. And I have spent great effort in the last two weeks to add context based element color and visibility overriding capability to Link. It should now be able to fully support step assembly instance styling.
from the files I received, it seems this to be related more to OCC than to import STEP code in FreeCAD
easyw-fc wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:39 pm yes I received the files... I can confirm you that CADAssistant is showing a similar issue on the fillet you are having... so it seems it is an issue in exporting or an OCC issue on importing.
I'm going to open a new topic for Assembly3 STEP testing files... I have some test stressing files I used with Jean Marie to tune the STEP import/export process.
Maurice
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

realthunder wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 pm Can one of you please send me the problematic file to have a try?
Please check your PM.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

@easyw-fc
@realthunder
Please check your PM concerning 30 day trial cadexchanger.