FCStd files not recognised by Freecad

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Malint

FCStd files not recognised by Freecad

Postby Malint » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 am

Hallo,

the other day I installed the very impressive version 0.17 of Freecad.
Now I have run into the problem, that FCStd files are not listed among the supported formats of Freecad.
I can save as FCStd, but when I try to open the same file (or others) from Freecad it is not shown in the list, and when I choose 'all files' and select the one I want to open I get the error message "loading the file xxx.FCStd is not supported".
What does work for now, is double click on the file in explorer, after saying "open all files of this type with 'Freecad'".

Also the Freecad version 0.16 wouldn't start anymore, showing the error message "'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 211: ordinal not in range(128)".
When starting Freecad 0.17 I now get the message in the bottom left : "unknown command Std_AddonMgr" - the addon manager was available when I first installed, yet now it is gone.
Sounds like three seperate issues, yet it seems to me they are all related, as they all occured at the same time.
Sofar I have uninstalled both Freecad versions (0.16 and 0.17) and reinstalled version 0.17, but the problem remains.

The Python version installed is: 2.7.15

I'm grateful for any help.
chrisb

Re: FCStd files not recognised by Freecad

Postby chrisb » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi Malint, welcome to the FreeCAD forum.
I move this to Help forum.

Please read the show us your FreeCAD info as described in the "IMPORTANT: ..." forum rules linked above. We don't even know, which operating system you are on.
And please check if you have any fancy characters in the user's directory path or in the install path of FreeCAD.
Malint

Postby Malint » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:19 am

Thank you chrisb,

here is the 'about Freecad' information:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

There are no fancy characters in the directory path or in the install path of FreeCAD: "E:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.17\bin\FreeCAD.exe"
At first I had it installed on the C: drive, but during my attempts to solve the problem I tried installing it on E: instead - made no difference.

I can also add, that bevore the AddonMgr dissapearded, I added the assembly 2 module. Within assembly 2, when i choose: "import a part from another freecad document" it does show the FCStd parts in the list and they can be opened. It is only the direct "open a document or import files (Ctrl+O)" which is being silly.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:35 pm

If you start FreeCAD with the parameter -l it will create a logfile which might help the experts. I am afraid I cannot be of any further help.
ulrich1a

Postby ulrich1a » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 pm

There can be a problem, that both of your FreeCAD-versions share the same configuration files. You may rename the configuration files without FreeCAD running and start FreeCAD again. The configuration files are in your "user directory\AppData\Roaming\Freecad". Rename user.cfg and system.cfg.

FreeCAD can be started with command line parameters in order to use a separate configuration.

Ulrich
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 am

Sofar I have uninstalled both Freecad versions (0.16 and 0.17) and reinstalled version 0.17, but the problem remains.
This usually doesn't help because you haven't modified the installed files but something else has changed.
Now I have run into the problem, that FCStd files are not listed among the supported formats of Freecad.
I can save as FCStd, but when I try to open the same file (or others) from Freecad it is not shown in the list, and when I choose 'all files' and select the one I want to open I get the error message "loading the file xxx.FCStd is not supported".
What does work for now, is double click on the file in explorer, after saying "open all files of this type with 'Freecad'".

Also the Freecad version 0.16 wouldn't start anymore, showing the error message "'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 211: ordinal not in range(128)".
When starting Freecad 0.17 I now get the message in the bottom left : "unknown command Std_AddonMgr" - the addon manager was available when I first installed, yet now it is gone.
This sound very weird. I would try two things:
1. Rename your macro directory (check your preferences for the actual path)
2. Rename your Mod directory of 3rd party modules (%APPDATA%\FreeCAD\Mod)
There are no fancy characters in the directory path or in the install path of FreeCAD: "E:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.17\bin\FreeCAD.exe"
At first I had it installed on the C: drive, but during my attempts to solve the problem I tried installing it on E: instead - made no difference.
And what about your user name? Does it include things like umlauts?
Malint

Postby Malint » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you chrisb, ulrich1a and wmayer,

PROBLEM SOLVED.
With your help I was able to find the root cause of the problem:
I hadn't realised, that Freecad also keeps info in my user directory - I had only checked the installation path.

As you pointed out: there is a German umlaut in my username! This lead to Freecad creating a separate user folder with strange symbols when I installed the assembly module - which in turn confused Freecad. When I deleted the 'strange folder' Freecad was back to normal again.

thanks for taking the time to help.
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:58 pm

As you pointed out: there is a German umlaut in my username! This lead to Freecad creating a separate user folder with strange symbols when I installed the assembly module - which in turn confused Freecad. When I deleted the 'strange folder' Freecad was back to normal again.
Just to be clear what happened:
1. Your user name contains a German umlaut
2. Before adding assembly2 everything worked normally
3. You added assembly2 (to which location?)
4. The existence of assembly2 led FreeCAD to create a strange directory (which name and where?)
5. The existence of the directory makes FreeCAD to behave strangely
6. You only have to remove this directory and everything works normally again. You don't have to change a user name without umlaut?
Malint

Postby Malint » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Hallo wmayer,

to answer your questions:

1) my user name (path): C:\Users\Mälli
2) before adding assembly2 everything worked normally
3+4) I added assembly2 with the addonmanager. This placed Freecad files (system.cfg and user.cfg) in C:\Users\Mälli\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD
4) The existence of these files in the "Mälli" folder meant that Freecad wouldn't recognize FCStd files and the addonmanager dissapeared from the tools menu.
5) I removed all content from the "Mälli" folder and FreeCad worked normally again. I didn't change my user name.
To remove the umlaut in my username I will have to re-install windows, and I have been putting that off for quite a while.

regards,
M.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 pm

- You could add another user to your system.