Chamfer Strange behavior

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Chamfer Strange behavior

Post by chrisb »

retnev wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:39 am Thats all.
I guess that means we get more comments on our comments and vice versa without ever seeing a file. That's no problem here, I can occupy myself with a hard nut to crack in the Path subforum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
retnev

Post by retnev »

The toes are long in this one..

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 am
retnev wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:39 am Thats all.
I guess that means we get more comments on our comments and vice versa without ever seeing a file. That's no problem here, I can occupy myself with a hard nut to crack in the Path subforum.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 am I guess that means we get more comments on our comments and vice versa without ever seeing a file.
Told you. The smartass is more interested in being right (whatever than means) than in getting help. I bet when he goes to the garage auto shop he tells the mechanic how to do his job, and how crappy the car is and should be made.

Edit: garage --> auto shop.
Last edited by NormandC on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

retnev wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm The toes are long in this one..
Yes, it's getting long in the tooth, so if in your next reply here you don't do what was asked of you I'm putting you on ignore.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Sometimes, when someone keeps asking for help but never does what we request, I feel like I am looking at some AI experiment...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:56 pm Sometimes, when someone keeps asking for help but never does what we request, I feel like I am looking at some AI experiment...
Agreed! At least for the "Artificial" part of the abbreviation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
retnev

Post by retnev »

I am not interested in any more responses from people who are not willing to stick to the topic.

Then please go ahead!
All you loudmouths bragging about ignoring the thread.
It is the greatest idea!.
Now please do it and stop breaking your own rules.
Last edited by retnev on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
retnev

Post by retnev »

What I will do is create a few simple examples and upload them. I see no collisions in my model. It seems that the basic woodworking route facility is not implimentable in freecad. I understand that in metalwork you cannot ignore the imperfections created by champfering around a sharp corner as it introduces unintended dimensions at the corner, but in e.g. woodworking the router basically goes around the corner without care what happens to the top surface.

I refer to an open table woodworking router, where the spindle sticks out the middle with ballbearing collarto run on the bottom profile while the top is routed. Open table routers are dangerous things and CNC is way-way safer to do those jobs and why I want to go this direction.

Unfortunately I think the chamfer implementation in freecad seems to not be able to do what a table router does..i.e. blinding routing around corners based on the bearing that runs on the bottom profile or template.

The last thing I want to do is having to do continuous tool changes for the jobs where a single bit can do the edges without the need for a dedicated profile router bit.
GeneFC wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:47 pm Chamfer does not care one way or the other about fractions. I routinely operate in imperial units, and virtually *everything* I do ends up as a fraction. FreeCAD works only in metric internally.

It is likely that the larger chamfer that fails is due to some sort of collision of the chamfer with other surfaces.

It is impossible to say any more without your file or at least a screen shot.