dwg conversions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
scrungy_doolittle

dwg conversions

Post by scrungy_doolittle »

I have a dwg file I did in DraftSight. I'm trying to get it into freecad so it can be extruded.
It is now a polyline with no gaps.
To convert it to something that freecad can import, I had to take it to inskscape and convert it to a svg
I can import that svg into freecad, but there I am stuck.
This is two closed shapes one inside of the other, and I want to extrude a solid from that. what happens is that I just get two shapes when I do an extrude with no infil between them.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

I was able to do this once using 123D as an intermediate, but I'd rather be able to do this in freecad.
attached is a jpg desired_result.
For whatever reason, there is a hicky in what I did in 123D and I need to fix that. I noticed the same artifact in the svg and dwg files.
So my question is simple:
How do I get the desired result from my starting file?
What I am looking for, but it needs redoing
What I am looking for, but it needs redoing
desire_result.JPG (89.1 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Attachments
clean_top_plate.FCStd
The svg saved from inkscape, used to convert a dwg file to something freecad can use.
(9.12 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: dwg conversions

Post by chrisb »

Hi scrungy_doolittle, welcome to the forum.
The problem with your paths is that they are not closed. Can you close the paths in Inkscape?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can create sketches from the imported paths with Draft->DraftToSketch.
To find the missing coincidences open the Sketches and subsequently move the lines with the mouse followed by undo (Ctrl-Z) until you find the unconnected ends. Now apply a coincidence constraint.

You can merge the sketches into one using Sketcher->MergeSketches if you want to have them in one.
If you want to use the PartDesign tools create a body and move the sketch inside.
Attachments
top_plate_cb.FCStd
(33.44 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To find the missing coincidences you can use the ValidateSketch tool from Sketcher or PartDesign workbench. You have to increase the tolerance though.
scrungy_doolittle

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 am Hi scrungy_doolittle, welcome to the forum.
The problem with your paths is that they are not closed. Can you close the paths in Inkscape?
Yes, the paths are closed.
sketcher says there are no missing coincidences.
I can extrude them, but they extrude as "blades".
How can I connect the two outlines so they extrude as a solid?
scrungy_doolittle

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 am You can create sketches from the imported paths with Draft->DraftToSketch.
To find the missing coincidences open the Sketches and subsequently move the lines with the mouse followed by undo (Ctrl-Z) until you find the unconnected ends. Now apply a coincidence constraint.

You can merge the sketches into one using Sketcher->MergeSketches if you want to have them in one.
If you want to use the PartDesign tools create a body and move the sketch inside.
Thank you. I will be trying this.
So exactly what steps did you go through?
I want to be able to reproduce this, so I know how it was done.
turns out I needed it to be 2mm, not 10. 10 mm is a different drawing. So I want to take my original sketch and duplicate what you did.

Thank you so much for doing it. I really appreciate it.
Next question, given the pad in your file, what steps do I take to change the extrude to 2mm?

I have 4 of these dwg files to extrude like this to various thicknesses.

It is a bloody shame that FC can't import DWG files, when Inkscape can. Both are open sources, so why can't the code from inkscape that
imports DWG files be integrated in to FC?

I see a hidden path 3753 and can't seem to make it visible
I can select path3755
I can select body.
The XY_Plane, Xz_plane and YZ_plane do nothing.
And I can select the pad.

Tried to open the sketch, says it is invalid and can't be opened.

The pad says length 10 mm length2 100 mm. Trying to figure out how that works?
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

I opened the file clean_top_plate.FCStd did convert the path to sketches with the available command in the Draft workbench.
I switched to the Part workbench and made a BOP-check. At looking in the Shape content it shows me:

Code: Select all

clean_top_plate.Sketch001:
 VERTEX    : 17
 EDGE      : 16
 WIRE      : 1
 FACE      : 0
 SHELL     : 0
 SOLID     : 0
 COMPSOLID : 0
 COMPOUND  : 0
 SHAPE     : 34
This tells me that the Sketch001 has one Vertex too much. A closed profile needs to have the same numbers of edges and vertexes.

At searching in the sketcher, I found the not connected vertexes. See image.
So these pathes have to be closed first, before you are able to create a solid from it.

Ulrich
Attachments
open_path.png
open_path.png (41.18 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
scrungy_doolittle

got the 2mm extrusion by pulling it into mesh mixer and changing the Y dimension.
Still want to know how to do it in freecad.
scrungy_doolittle

ulrich1a wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm I opened the file clean_top_plate.FCStd did convert the path to sketches with the available command in the Draft workbench.
I switched to the Part workbench and made a BOP-check. At looking in the Shape content it shows me:

This tells me that the Sketch001 has one Vertex too much. A closed profile needs to have the same numbers of edges and vertexes.

So these pathes have to be closed first, before you are able to create a solid from it.

Ulrich
I don't see a BOP checker in the part workbench.
I opened the file, created a sketch. So now I have the sketch selected in the model panel, then slected part work bench, and there are 3 choices. Primatives boolean and join.
scrungy_doolittle

ulrich1a wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm I opened the file clean_top_plate.FCStd did convert the path to sketches with the available command in the Draft workbench.

Ulrich
So how did you get this nice attachment?

I opened the original file.
Selected path 3753 and did a convert to sketch. The result is an empty sketch.
Slected path 3755 abd did a convert to sketch. The result in an empty sketch.
So I zoomed in on path 3755 and clearly see the disconnect, so now how do I connect it....