Body highlighting, need a poll on how yours works

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Body highlighting, need a poll on how yours works

Post by freedman »

I made this test file to get some input. Some of the Bodies (when clicked on in the tree) don't highlight the solid (Pad).
When I first made the file I created a few bodies and put them in a Part container, then created a few more and put them in a Part container. As I went along, the first three bodies highlighted correctly but when finished only the the first three bodies would highlight, the rest of the bodies would do nothing.

I closed the file and reopened, now the last three bodies highlight correctly and the others do nothing.
So now (if you follow all this) the last three highlight and prior the first three highlight.
Questions:
1) What do you see?
2) Is this a known problem?
3) Is there a fix?

I found a pretty cool work-around that may be more than a work around, it might be the best way to work. Select a body and change the Properties->Shape Style. Set it to BoundBox. I really like this for identification of a selected Body. Question: Is there a way to make the Bodies when created have the Properties->Shape Style set to BoundBox.
Thanks
Attachments
highlight_jpg.JPG
highlight_jpg.JPG (59.64 KiB) Viewed 601 times
freedman
Veteran

Re: Body highlighting, need a poll on how yours works

Post by freedman »

freedman wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 am I made this test file to get some input. Some of the Bodies (when clicked on in the tree) don't highlight the solid (Pad).
When I first made the file I created a few bodies and put them in a Part container, then created a few more and put them in a Part container. As I went along, the first three bodies highlighted correctly but when finished only the the first three bodies would highlight, the rest of the bodies would do nothing.

I closed the file and reopened, now the last three bodies highlight correctly and the others do nothing.
So now (if you follow all this) the last three highlight and prior the first three highlight.
Questions:
1) What do you see?
2) Is this a known problem?
3) Is there a fix?

I found a pretty cool work-around that may be more than a work around, it might be the best way to work. Select a body and change the Properties->Shape Style. Set it to BoundBox. I really like this for identification of a selected Body. Question: Is there a way to make the Bodies when created have the Properties->Shape Style set to BoundBox.
Thanks

Oh! forgot to add the file.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13959 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2f18182b6dff87f8857787c854e39ca4d441f993
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
hightlight_test1.FCStd
(48.79 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Upon opening your file, none of the 6 bodies would highlight in the 3D view after being selected in the history tree. I'm not sure that a Body is intended to be highlighted in the 3D view when selecting it in the history tree though.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.13971 (Git)
Build type: None
Hash: 8e4dd8ca8496595d4718dc24c872f7ed668b2521
Python version: 2.7.12
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Some of this started with this post;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29396
The languge barrier made this hard to read but I get it.
Once you start building a muti-part object it is rediculously hard to figure out what is where. If there are 30 bodies, it turns into guess work what is where.
If I can figure out how to select all the bodies and set Properties->Shape Style set to BoundBox. It would incredibly helpful. Any one know of a Macro that sets properties all.
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't have the property ShapeStyle in a body at all. I have a boolean property BoundingBox and I have ShapeColor, where did you find it?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I (probably) found it: It's SelectionStyle you are talking of.
You can select multiple bodies and change the property of all of these in one go.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Sorry about the bad directions. :oops:
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

OK, your not going to believe this;

Goto Edit->Preferences->Display->Part Colors and set Bounding Box Color to Yellow. Close the file and reopen it. Now click on a body, they highlight perfectly. Let me know if that works. WoW!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

freedman wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 am Let me know if that works.
That's not working for me, but by closing the file and opening it again, some things (now box1, box2, cyl2) highlight in the 3D view when selected in the history tree.

But (for me) navigating to Combo View > Data Tab > View > Property > Display Mode and changing the Value from Through to Tip does cause them to be highlighted in the 3D view when selected in the history tree.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.18.13971 (Git)
Build type: None
Hash: 8e4dd8ca8496595d4718dc24c872f7ed668b2521
Python version: 2.7.12