If shops have Cad models can they be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
josheeg

If shops have Cad models can they be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?

Post by josheeg »

shops have Cad models can they. Be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?
microelly2
Veteran

Re: If shops have Cad models can they be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?

Post by microelly2 »

depends on the format of the models.
FreeCAD supports a lot of formats, so you can import the model and convert in most cases.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: If shops have Cad models can they be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?

Post by NormandC »

What does that have to do with the wiki???

Why did you post this in the wiki forum???
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

josheeg wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 am shops have Cad models can they. Be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?
In general the answer is yes. FreeCAD can do that.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

josheeg wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 am shops have Cad models can they. Be assembled and tested in freecad with assembly 2 and fem?
step or brep are very welcome formats. STL is a bit cumbersome on curved faces in FEM if you would like to apply boundaries on them ...
josheeg

Post by josheeg »

NormandC wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:03 am What does that have to do with the wiki???

Why did you post this in the wiki forum???
because i figured it was a question where documentation lacked i tried the fem tutorials maby there out of date.
josheeg

Post by josheeg »

I found a tutorial video that seems to answer my question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE