one section off sketch vid 09

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FC-Architecter

Re: one section off sketch vid 09

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 pm
chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 pm want to add that I rate bejant's videos very high!
Thanks, but I consider them obsolete now (if I could log into my YouTube account I'd probably delete them).
I think part of my problem in doing video 09 is that different versions were being used resulting in different tree views. So I could not compare my tree view to the video's.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

I am thinking now that I should have deleted the extra refine pockets that are causing the red arrows in Dependency Graph.
Then delete the pocket that was not showing in the model
then redo the pocket.
Hopefully this will make a clean Dependency Graph.

DEP_GRAPH_REPAIR_09.png
DEP_GRAPH_REPAIR_09.png (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Just redid the refine shape operation and it came out outside the body. Following bejant's advice before, I think this means to create a second body.
REFINE_SHAPE_REDO.png
REFINE_SHAPE_REDO.png (29.84 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
So far I don't know how to get the refine shape into the first body. Creating a 2nd body only creates a new dependency graph next to the first one.
bejant wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:03 pm The two different ways to model a Switch Base shouldn't be difficult because the Switch Base is a single piece. If you start the model by creating your very first Sketch while you are in the Part Design WB, a Body should automatically be created and made active before you are taken to the Sketcher WB.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

We can do Refine Geometry differently now in FreeCAD 0.17 release Roland, although I don't remember exactly when the new Property > Refine was introduced.
  • Delete refine_Pocket001 from your model (if the Dep Graph looks like the purple one in your last post) so that the DG looks like the green one.
  • Select Pocket001 in the history tree.
  • Scroll down the ComboView, and click the Data tab.
  • Change the Property = Refine > Value from False to True.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you really have to use tools from other workbenches like Part->RefineShape you can do so by applying them to the body itself instead of a single feature. By doing so you can continue to add features to the body and these changes are respected by the outer geometry. However, be aware, that you cannot continue inside the body with editing the new object from the outside world.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm ....
  • Delete refine_Pocket001 from your model (if the Dep Graph looks like the purple one in your last post) so that the DG looks like the green one.
  • Select Pocket001 in the history tree.
  • Scroll down the ComboView, and click the Data tab.
  • Change the Property = Refine > Value from False to True.
the last file I have is this one:
09_REPAIR_JOB.fcstd
(44.29 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Refine pocket has already been deleted although the model is refined. That means there must be something wrong?
The tree view is showing no errors, the sketches are all fully constrained. I changed the value as you said in DATA>Property=Refine to true. So does this mean that refine can be done this way, in the data combo view, now?

DEP_GRAPH_REPAIRJOB_FILE.png
DEP_GRAPH_REPAIRJOB_FILE.png (30.01 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

bejant wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am
.... [Youtube/Google] want more information from me (and that information could allow them to more personally identify me) and I'm not yet ready to provide it.

I guess that I grew up in an era when we valued our privacy more than people seem to value privacy nowadays.
You can use Vimeo.com. They still seem pretty cool. They don't demand your phone number.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:55 pm the last file I have is this one:

09_REPAIR_JOB.fcstd
(44.29 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Refine pocket has already been deleted although the model is refined. That means there must be something wrong?
No, your file is fine.

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:55 pm I changed the value as you said in DATA>Property=Refine to true. So does this mean that refine can be done this way, in the data combo view, now?
As you've done, Yes.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am I guess that I grew up in an era when we valued our privacy more than people seem to value privacy nowadays.
I understand - I kind of gave up on this matter myself, and I am not proud of it. Every other day my smartphone (I no longer have a landline) proves to me that it's tracking everything I do. :?

As for hosting videos, I don't know if you'd be interested in this open source project: PeerTube.

I created a topic to stop hijacking this one.

PeerTube - distributed open source video hosting