How to create a hole?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
micksulley

How to create a hole?

Post by micksulley »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13959 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 2f18182b6dff87f8857787c854e39ca4d441f993
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

I'm sure I must be missing something, but I have followed the instructions in the manual and can't get it to work.

I want to create a plate with a matrix of holes, evenly spaced, but I am getting stuck creating the first hole.
PartDesign -
Sketch rectangle, close sketch, pad to create plate.
New sketch with just a circle
Select the circle sketch then select the Hole icon
accept default values and OK
I can now see the circle on the bottom face, but it is not a hole. From the notes at the bottom of the page in the manual I need to change teh Revered property, but I have tried this both ways and it makes no difference.

I have attached my file, can you tell me where I am going wrong please?
Thanks
Mick
Attachments
HoleTest.fcstd
(13.05 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to create a hole?

Post by chrisb »

The hole doesn't seem to work, when the sketch is attached to the principal plane. It works though if you attach it to the face.

Is this a bug that should be reported?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The hole doesn't seem to respect the reverse property. If you reverse the Pad instead, the hole works.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
The hole tool you use is used to drill threaded holes for screws, if you use it, it does not take into account the sketch you have drawn, only its center.
you have to enter the type of net (ISO-Imperial-etc), you will be able to choose the diameter, then the type of cut, the depth 'etc.
As it is a depth, it is always towards negative Z, if your piece is towards the Z plus, there is no material to be pierced.
To make just one hole, use the tool "Pocket that works in both directions, and the hole is the diameter of your sketch
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 pm The hole doesn't seem to respect the reverse property.
And it cannot be set in the Hole parameters either, IMO that's the issue that should be reported.

What can be done is to set Sketch001's Map Reversed property to true; but then, the circle's orientation from the XY Plane needs to be reversed in the sketch as well.

meme2704 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:31 pm you have to enter the type of net (ISO-Imperial-etc)
"Net" is meaningless here. You probably meant thread. (In French, "filet" has many meanings, among them thread or... fishing net)

You do not need to set a threading profile to a hole, there is a "None" option and it works, provided the normal of the sketch is toward the solid.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

Thank you all for your replies. Yes reversing the pad did the trick. This means that my pad is now in negative Z, which seems a bit odd, but from the comments the Reversed property not working is a bug, so it should all be OK when that gets fixed.

I also managed to use the MultiTransform tool as well to generate my matrix of holes. I am impressed with that!

Thanks again
Mick
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have created issue 3524.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

You probably meant thread
yes, I have not re-read before posting, sorry
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If a hole can be reversed, do we need a separate reverse for counterbore and countersink? Do we need them optionally on both sides?
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

good question, it would be wrong to have the milling down the hole :lol: