Polar pattern of padded part with linear pattern

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TopDown

Polar pattern of padded part with linear pattern

Post by TopDown »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13971 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8e4dd8ca8496595d4718dc24c872f7ed668b2521
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

Hi guys,

I am trying to make a polar pattern (16 occurrences) of the attached part. The polar pattern works but doesn't include the Linear pattern of 8 pockets (holes).
How do I include the polar pattern into the feature for the pattern (if that is what I need to do)? Must be missing something simple.

Thanks in advance,
Topdown.
Attachments
Polar.PNG
Polar.PNG (119.72 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
after Polar pattern.FCStd
(32.3 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
InnerCircle.FCStd
(20.02 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Polar pattern of padded part with linear pattern

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

You cannot pattern a pattern. What you can do is to modify your first Sketch to create a full ring rather than a portion of it. Then, delete the PolarPattern, convert your LinearPattern into a PartDesign MultiTransform (right-click on the LinearPattern) and add a new Polar Pattern to it. Then prepare to wait: PD transformation features are slow... :(

An alternative is to make a Draft Array of the Body. It will be much faster. Remember to change its Fuse property to "true". See the end of my reply here for the reason.
Attachments
InnerCircle_DraftArray_nc1.FCStd
(60.26 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
InnerCircle_MultiTransform_nc1.FCStd
(53.25 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
TopDown

Post by TopDown »

Thanks NormandC,
I will try both ways a learning exercise.

Very appreciative of your time and effort,
Topdown.
TopDown

Post by TopDown »

Thanks again for the assist.

I tried both methods with some success. Then I was looking at the 'Clone' tool as a means to get the same effect (possibly not the best but I am learning). I seem to be able to get it to clone around the Z access but can't see how to clone around the X access.

Obviously I have missed something along the way but I am progressing.

Cheers.
Attachments
InnerCirclePart.FCStd
(43.39 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
clone.PNG
clone.PNG (161.74 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TopDown wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 pm I seem to be able to get it to clone around the Z access but can't see how to clone around the X access.
You don't clone around an axis. A clone is created in place and you can change its placement afterwards. You can turn the clone around each axis separately if you check the "Incremental" box.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Another option:

Note that the body is not toggled active when I finally got it to work. If the body is active you need to use the Lattice PartDesign Pattern command, which for some reason fails with this particular model (or maybe always if using linear pattern as base for polar pattern).
lattice2_experiments.gif
lattice2_experiments.gif (592.75 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
TopDown

Post by TopDown »

Thanks ChrisB,
I understand that now, but how do I place the clone to be next to the original as forming 2 sections of a circular pattern. I just don't seem to be coming to grips with this placement methods as yet (but will eventually).

TheMarkster, haven't been able to try your way yet.

Cheers,
Topdown.
Attachments
InnerCirclePart.FCStd
(43.39 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TopDown wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 am I understand that now, but how do I place the clone to be next to the original as forming 2 sections of a circular pattern.
To place something on a section of a circular pattern you need a specification of that circular pattern with center, direction and angle. With Draft->Array and PartDesign->polar pattern you get this for free, so why do you want to use a clone for this?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TopDown

Post by TopDown »

Mainly just trying things out but with a view to what I may have to do later. My idea was to create 1 part "InnerCirclePart" which will be used in several places (not just in one part/assembly) and have the ability to change it once and reflect the change wherever it is used.

I imported it into "InnerCircle" and then cloned it hoping then that any change would refelect through but it appears I have followed the wrong track in my thinking as a change to InnerCirclePart doesn't appear in InnerCircle.

Cheers.
Attachments
InnerCircle.FCStd
(120.11 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
InnerCirclePart.FCStd
(44.78 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

To learn V0.17, I reproduced the object, and add 16 holes, but, horror, the part is expelled from the body (still a successful veal without veterinarian)
Question: what was the use of a body
Attachments
roue_2.JPG
roue_2.JPG (44.83 KiB) Viewed 1211 times