Polar pattern of padded part with linear pattern

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Polar pattern of padded part with linear pattern

Post by TheMarkster »

inner-array-opt.gif
inner-array-opt.gif (782.59 KiB) Viewed 278 times
TopDown

Post by TopDown »

Thanks TheMarkster, I was missing the axis adjustment.

Great help,
Cheers,
Topdown
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

TheMarkster,

Why did you delete Sketch's attachment? IMO sketches inside a Body should always be attached to something.

As you find out later, the red link was due to the Array being linked to PolarPattern instead of Body. For any tool outside of the PartDesign workbench, the inner elements of a Body should be off-limits.

And I'll add that while animated GIFs are great for short animations of a few seconds, they are not that great for 30sec+ animations. In fact they suck. There is no way to pause a GIF, go backward etc. I'm facing the same dilemma, sometimes I don't really want to upload a soundless video of 20-30 seconds to Youtube or Dropbox.

I wish the forum would allow us to attach webm or mp4 videos and have them watchable like we can view images.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I didn't want to leave it attached to itself and since it seemed to have worked I decided to leave well enough alone. Walk softly around it, TopDown.

Animated gifs have their weaknesses, but also have their uses. Personally, I find visual examples easier to follow than written instructions. Would be nice if they could be paused, rewinded, etc.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:20 am Would be nice if they could be paused, rewinded, etc.
That's exactly the point. I hardly ever manage to understand what is shown by watching only once. Then I have to look two more times to see where it actually starts and then I can focus on the detail I want to see.
If it is written I usually have to read it only once.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.