Ticket #3537 - Draft Edit mode not working on MacOS X (HiDPi issue)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mumf83

Ticket #3537 - Draft Edit mode not working on MacOS X (HiDPi issue)

Post by mumf83 »

After I've drawn from any of the tools available from the Draft workbench and I click the "Edit" button. I see the anchors but I can't click on any on them to move. Is there something I need to do to enable the anchors so I can click and move them?

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 21.27.12.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 21.27.12.png (154.95 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13519 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1a8b868)
Hash: 1a8b868018f45ea486c0023fdbfeb06febc1fb89
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

EDIT
Issue created - https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3537
Last edited by Kunda1 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated thread title to reflect ticket number + that it's on OS X
Willem
Veteran

Re: Draft Edit mode not working

Post by Willem »

Hi, welcome to the forum

Here a simple example of how to create a rectangle and a circle and how to edit them in the Combo tree. You can also use other tools to move scale etc. . I do not know what you want to design but Draft is only one of the design tools. For many purposes the Partt design workbench and the sketcher are the preferred workbenches.
phpBB [video]
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Thanks. I'm trying to trace round a shape and convert it into a specific solid shape so I can split it into sections. I've attached the image. The top part is the side view and the bottom part is the top view so you'll see the shape it needs to make. I wanted to use the Draft Bezier tool to trace round the side view as the shape is full of curves and not much straight lines and then convert to a sketch so I can then use the Part tool, etc.

I tried using the Sketcher B-Spline tool but I can't make it into a body as freecad throws me an error asking for a body, because I don't know how, so I can add padding. I think the problem is when I use the B-Spline tool the last spline doesn't join to the first spline so its not making a solid line/shape. I also tried the Periodic tool and still can't pad the shape out. I thought this was the easy bit by tracing round sketches, haha.

Can you advice on what I should be doing?
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 00.20.11.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 00.20.11.png (154.81 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Last edited by mumf83 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

mumf83 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm After I've drawn from any of the tools available from the Draft workbench and I click the "Edit" button. I see the anchors but I can't click on any on them to move. Is there something I need to do to enable the anchors so I can click and move them?
When editing Draft BSpline or BezierCurves, you can't click and drag the control points. You have to single click, release and move the mouse. Once the mouse starts moving, there will be a line from the old position to the mouse pointer. When the mouse pointer is where you want the control point, single click again and the control point will move.
mumf83 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm I tried using the Sketcher B-Spline tool but I can't make it into a body as freecad throws me an error asking for a body, because I don't know how, so I can add padding. I think the problem is when I use the B-Spline tool the last spline doesn't join to the first spline so its not making a solid line/shape. I also tried the Periodic tool and still can't pad the shape out. I thought this was the easy bit by tracing round sketches, haha.
To create a body use the menu item Part Design>Create body or press the blue step(?) icon. PartDesign_Body
To pad a sketch the sketch must have a closed contour. You can use the coincident constraint to join the endpoints of your spline. Constraint_PointOnPoint
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Regarding the tracing step, you might be interested in this post:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29704
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

planes-screenshot.png
planes-screenshot.png (78.49 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
The bottom two objects are faces. (There are multiple faces on top of each other for each.) The top object (common) was formed by taking the outermost profile faces and extruding them in Part. The side view was extruded 100 mm, the top view was extruded 300 mm. Then they were positioned together and a boolean common operation applied.

First step was to separate the two images into separate files, then use Gimp2 to convert them to 1 bit per pixel (b&W) bmp, then convert that to svg, which was imported into FreeCAD. Draft upgrade was used on the imported objects to get the faces. You can also use Draft -> make sketch to get sketches if you prefer. You can merge the sketches using Sketcher -> merge sketches, but as chrisb pointed out, might be better not to do so.
Attachments
planes-1 (1).svg
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
planes-2 (1).svg
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
planes.FCStd
(410.65 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

Thank you all - "Import" is a good tip as I didn't know you could do that where it will automatically add the tracing, awesome

TheMarkster - I'll try and follow along on what you've done. Do you have the original Gimp2 file so I can see what you've done in there and how you've converted the drawing to 1 bit per pixel. When I "import" your .SVG's and click the 'Upgrade' or 'Downgrade' buttons in Draft WP I keep getting the following error (taken from the Report View):
Running the Python command 'Draft_Upgrade' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Mod/Draft/DraftTools.py", line 3108, in Activated
Modifier.Activated(self,"Upgrade")
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Mod/Draft/DraftTools.py", line 219, in Activated
FreeCAD.activeDraftCommand.finish()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Mod/Draft/DraftTools.py", line 3994, in finish
if hasattr(self.obj.ViewObject,"Selectable") and (self.selectstate != None):

Cannot access attribute 'ViewObject' of deleted object('[Draft.todo.tasks] Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, 'in ', <bound method editTracker._removeSwitch of <DraftTrackers.editTracker instance at 0x12e2eca70>>, '(', None, ')')('[Draft.todo.tasks] Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, 'in ', <bound method editTracker._removeSwitch of <DraftTrackers.editTracker instance at 0x1223b5fc8>>, '(', None, ')')('[Draft.todo.tasks] Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, 'in ', <bound method editTracker._removeSwitch of <DraftTrackers.editTracker instance at 0x1154df9e0>>, '(', None, ')')
Is there something you did before clicking on the 'Upgrade' button? My versions are in my first post.
mumf83

Post by mumf83 »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:26 am
mumf83 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm After I've drawn from any of the tools available from the Draft workbench and I click the "Edit" button. I see the anchors but I can't click on any on them to move. Is there something I need to do to enable the anchors so I can click and move them?
When editing Draft BSpline or BezierCurves, you can't click and drag the control points. You have to single click, release and move the mouse. Once the mouse starts moving, there will be a line from the old position to the mouse pointer. When the mouse pointer is where you want the control point, single click again and the control point will move.
I've tried doing what you said but I still can't get it to work. Have a look at this video of me trying. Could this be a MAC issue?

phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's not a Mac issue. Make sure you click in edit mode the point to move only once, don't hold the mouse button.

Which mouse model do you use? I use gesture with a touch pad.

Version: 0.18.13976 (Git)
Branch: (HEAD detached at fae0de5)
Hash: fae0de58581694157a97d567c151bdce75d387dc
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 5.11.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Same behviour with 0.17: it works.

Version: 0.17.13519 (Git)
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1a8b868)
Hash: 1a8b868018f45ea486c0023fdbfeb06febc1fb89
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.