unwanted dependency of visible parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: unwanted dependency of visible parts

Post by chrisb »

The problem is coplanarity to which helixes are rather sensitive.
- Sometimes it is necessary to turn the helix a tiny little bit so that the start does not lie on a seam
- omit corners at the outer surface. That was the problem here. I changed - and even simplified - the section accordingly.
Attachments
SpeedbarLock_cb.FCStd
(392.74 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
noobdude

Post by noobdude »

Thank you so much. Due to your help I now managed to modify my model so that it works. When I look back at my original question I realize that you not only helped me solve it, but even taught me valuable lessons that exceeded expectations by roughly 3000%!

I hope that FreeCAD improves regarding threads. The way it is now it feels like a little bit of luck is part of the engineering. :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

noobdude wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm When I look back at my original question I realize that you not only helped me solve it, but even taught me valuable lessons that exceeded expectations
And that's why I tell people who ask for help on the #freecad IRC channel that the only place to really get help is here on the FreeCAD forum. ;)

There is synergy at work here between FreeCAD users that can't happen on IRC or Gitter or similar medium.

Regarding thread issues, unfortunately a large part of it is due to the OCC kernel, which is a third-party software library that the FreeCAD devs have no control on.