Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Vid 11: Rectangle wrong plane and extra body

Post by NormandC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:09 am the 2 sketches below the 2nd body do not want to be moved.
I can only select one at a time and when I try to move it, I get the circle with the slash meaning no can do.
Please look again at the animated GIF I posted, and please read the description I gave and that you quoted.

Please notice in the animation the same "interdict" icon you speak of, until I reach the label under "Application".

You do know that to select multiple items in the tree, you need to press the Control key on your keyboard?
Last edited by NormandC on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I didn't even know bejant had made this video. It links to the German tutorial by Roland, but Roland later made one in English that I linked above.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

NormandC wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm ....
Please look again at the animated GIF I posted, and please read the description I gave and that you quoted.
ok
NormandC wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pmPlease notice in the animation the same "interdict" icon you speak of, until I reach the label under "Application".
yes the interdict sign disappears and a little pointing hand and a plus sign appear but the elements still do not place up there.
NormandC wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm You do know that to select multiple items in the tree, you need to press the Control key on your keyboard?
that is exactly what I am doing. Then FC will pull out 2 but not 3 sketches.
So I try moving 1 or 2 at a time hoping I can get all 3 up to the top but they just stay right under body.

This file may be corrupted. I will send it, and tomorrow start over. (Just finished a long plane trip that through me off a bit.)

video_tutorial_11_3rd_rectangle_green.fcstd
(11.82 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by FC-Architecter on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 pm It would make it so much simpler for others if you always provided the link to the video you are talking about.

Your title mentions vid 11. But in your post you write

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm I got to about minute 5:38 of the video: rolands propeller.
OK, so you're talking about the Learn FreeCAD Channel by Roland Frank.
No, I am working on the last of the bejant's tutorials.

[/quote]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 am So I try moving 1 or 2 at a time hoping I can get all 3 up to the top but they just stay right under body.
On your system it may look as if they were still under the body, because they have some indentation. Collapse the body and you can see what is really outside.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 am This file may be corrupted.
No, this file is perfectly fine, and everything works as expected.

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 am but the elements still do not place up there.
My animation clearly shows that the elements do not place up there! You need to drag them above and drop them over the document label, but once you lift your finger from the mouse button, the elements are placed right at the bottom! And they are below the Body, not inside it! Again, look at the animation.

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 am Collapse the body and you can see what is really outside.
Exactly.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:34 pm
FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 am This file may be corrupted.
No, this file is perfectly fine, and everything works as expected.

FC-Architecter wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:21 am but the elements still do not place up there.
My animation clearly shows that the elements do not place up there! You need to drag them above and drop them over the document label, but once you lift your finger from the mouse button, the elements are placed right at the bottom! And they are below the Body, not inside it! Again, look at the animation.

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 am Collapse the body and you can see what is really outside.
Exactly.
Yes, I see now.

I still cannot select and move all 2 sketches but I can move them one by one, which I have done.
They were inside Origin of the Body, now they are not.
Sketches_moved.png
Sketches_moved.png (34.16 KiB) Viewed 657 times
They are still indented inside Body and I don't quite understand why that would not mean they are still inside Body but I may have to wait for that enlightenment.
Now I can proceed to delete Body.
BODY_DELETED.png
BODY_DELETED.png (29.73 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Now I go back to the last of bejant's tutorials in this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDJq2 ... ex=10&t=0s
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FC-Architecter wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 pm They are still indented inside Body and I don't quite understand why that would not mean they are still inside Body but I may have to wait for that enlightenment.
Look at the difference between sketches inside and outside of a body. Hopefully it serves your enlightenment. The left side of the Body icon is aligned with the left side of the outer sketch. I find this sometimes a bit cumbersome, but the collapse/unfold triangle does not define the indentation.
BTW, Windows explorer uses the same kind of indentation.
Attachments
lightsOn.png
lightsOn.png (14.18 KiB) Viewed 651 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 am ....

At 5:19 Roland creates a horizontal distance constraint between the lower left corner of the rectangle and the sketch origin. You created a point on object constraint on the sketch vertical axis instead.
(I am working in bejants version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDJq2 ... ex=10&t=0s)
POINT_ON_OBJECT_CONSTRAINT.png
POINT_ON_OBJECT_CONSTRAINT.png (28.12 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Sketch_with_constraint.png
Sketch_with_constraint.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Deleting the point-on-object constraint leaves the sketch with one degree of freedom.

At minute 2:40 of Bejants video, he switches to Part Design WB. If, as some have said, Body was not created at that time, then it may be impossible to follow this video at all, because I won't be able to follow what bejant has done.
Bejant_goes_to_PartDesign.png
Bejant_goes_to_PartDesign.png (53.65 KiB) Viewed 643 times
At minute 3:34 bejant makes a point-to-object constraint with upper left corner of the rectangle and the vertical axis. when bejant was in Part Design he made the sketch of the rectangle oriented to the XZ axis. Minute 2:46.

point-to-object_constraint.png
point-to-object_constraint.png (55.45 KiB) Viewed 640 times
FC-Architecter

Post by FC-Architecter »

I have a question about which elements to select for the sweep operations.
Should the sketch and the helix be selected at the same time?

minute 6:17 of bejant's video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDJq2 ... ex=10&t=0s

It looks to me as if bejant swept the sketch but selected the helix.
In version 17 the sweep operation is a bit different. So I assume I go into 3D view and select the first helix for the first sketch sweep.

Something happened I tried to sweep then went to 3D view to select helix
then when I went back to finish the sweep operation the "Create Solid" and "Frenet" boxes were greyed out. I could not go back to reverse the operations so I could select them BEFORE selecting helix in 3D view.
So I had to close the file and start over at the point where there the 3 sketches were oriented.

What I did is to click "Create Solid" and "Frenet" before going to 3D view and selecting helix.
This seemed to work.