Problem with draft dimension tool and captions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
borish

Problem with draft dimension tool and captions

Post by borish »

I've used the draft dimension tool as explained in the manual https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_Dimension. I have the following problems:
  • The captions (eg "540 mm") aren't visible in the 3D view unless I set Display M... to 3D. As this isn't mentioned in the manual, I don't know if this is the expected behavior.
  • The captions aren't well aligned with the dimension lines. In particular, it doesn't look as in this image from a tutorial Image
    Instead, this is how it looks:
  • I was unable to create dimensions for the milled handle using the dimension tool. Therefore, I enclosed the handle with a box, converted it to points and used the "measure distance" tool.However, the captions aren't well aligned with the lines either.
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Problem with draft dimension tool and captions

Post by NormandC »

The default font size for Draft Dimensions is 5mm. Considering the size of your box (540 x 502 x 175mm) it's normal that they don't show, they're too small.

You need to change their Font Size property in the Data tab. Or, you can go to Draft Preferences, Texts and dimensions tab, and change the default font size - this will be applied to all new Dimensions you create, but you will need to restart FreeCAD for the change to take effect.

borish wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:31 am The captions aren't well aligned with the dimension lines.
That's because you set the Display Mode to 3D.
borish

Post by borish »

Thanks. The caption alignment problem is solved after I set the font size to 30 mm.
I still have problems adding dimensions for the box handle. I've enclosed the handle with a box and converted it to points. For the handle height, I set the working plane to YZ and used the dimension tool to create a vertical line between two points. However, the dimension is placed on the XZ plane and not on the YZ plane, as I expected. For the width of the handle, I selected the XY plane and had equally unsatisfying results.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-07-21 17-58-05.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-07-21 17-58-05.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

borish wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:05 pm I've enclosed the handle with a box and converted it to points.
I don't understand what you mean by "converting it to points".

borish wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:05 pm For the handle height, I set the working plane to YZ and used the dimension tool to create a vertical line between two points. However, the dimension is placed on the XZ plane and not on the YZ plane, as I expected.
Sorry, I don't know what's happening.

What do you intend to do once you have all your dimensions? Are you going to print this on paper?
borish

Post by borish »

I set "Display Mode" to "Points" for the box. I've created the box so the dimension tool has some lines to snap to. I don't know how to measure width and height without that enclosing box.
What I want is what is shown in the image below, but for both width and height and I want to use the dimension tool and not the measure distance tool for a uniform look.
Yes, I want to print this to paper to have it built.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-07-21 20-27-04.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-07-21 20-27-04.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Then I suggest leaving the Draft Dimensions aside and using the TechDraw Workbench instead. You don't need to create dimensions in the 3D view: you create them directly on the orthogonal views on the page. In my opinion, it is easier and faster that way.

See below for a quick example I made.
Attachments
FC017_borish_box_techdraw_nc1.fcstd
(42.46 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
FC017_borish_TechDraw_01.png
FC017_borish_TechDraw_01.png (88.44 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
borish

Post by borish »

Thanks for your help, but I don't know how to use the tech draw wb and I haven't found any tutorials. Therefore, I'm still trying to solve the problem with the dimension tool. Also, I'm looking for documentation on how to use the rectangular, angular, edge etc. buttons. I'm not sure they work for me.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

borish wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm Thanks for your help, but I don't know how to use the tech draw wb and I haven't found any tutorials. Therefore, I'm still trying to solve the problem with the dimension tool.
As you wish, but TechDraw is pretty easy to pick up. It will take you less time to learn it than trying to get Draft Dimensions to work as you want - and you may not succeed.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, the Techdraw workbench is very similar (not identical) to the former Drawing workbench and good tutorials about the old Drawing workbench are made by Roland Frank.
Here the tutorials: FreeCAD Tutorial 19 - Zeichnungsansichten erstellen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOCBA7ptEo
FreeCAD Tutorial 20 - Zeichnungen bemassen FreeCAD Tutorial 20 - Zeichnungen bemassen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

borish wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm Thanks for your help, but I don't know how to use the tech draw wb and I haven't found any tutorials.
You have seen the documentation linked by Normand?
NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:56 pm Then I suggest leaving the Draft Dimensions aside and using the TechDraw Workbench instead.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.