How to project point of a body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
flim

Re: How to project point of a body

Post by flim »

flim wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:30 pm
TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 pm Try setting the alias on the cell containing the value (B2 in this case) instead of the label (A2) in column A. (The yellow highlighted cells are the ones containing the aliases.)
Edit: I found I was wrong.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have taken Normand's file and could simplify it even abit more by using the upper edge as a sweep path so the original sketch isn't needed any more
Attachments
Sweep problem_cb.FCStd
(63.44 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:30 pm using the upper edge as a sweep path so the original sketch isn't needed any more
And by doing that, you are making a more fragile feature that depends on the topology, and you needed to select edges all around the Pad which is cumbersome. As I wrote in a previous reply:

NormandC wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:27 pm
  • Sketch is used for the SubtractivePipe path. Again this is more robust than selecting edges on the solid. The added bonus is that once I selected Sketch, all edges in it are used, so I didn't need to manually select all of its edges.
In my last file, I used the same sketch for the Pad and the sweep path. It appears twice in the tree, under the Pad and under the Sweep; but it is the same sketch.

Also worth mentioning, hammax added a lot of construction lines in the sketch, I'm not sure why; the original sketch had a lot less.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Ok, ok you are right - as always; in fact very right. It was too fast a shot, I hadn't seen that Sketch002 wasn't an extra sketch for the sweep. Usually I would promise to think twice before posting but here it would have been enough to think once. Sorry guys.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… I used the original sketch from flim and changed his arcs to construction lines to get them out of sight.
So I avoided to set up a new sketch, which I would have preferred.
Before that I had spent enough time, to search what was wrong with the PD-subtractive-sweep.
Only impatience.