Place window in a pitched roof object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wearyhacker

Place window in a pitched roof object

Post by wearyhacker »

Hi,
Is there a reccomended way to place a window into a sloping face generated by the roof object?

I am struggling to consistently and accurately place windows into a sloping roof face. I have tried numerous different combinations of draft snaps and and working planes.
The best way I have come up with is to create a working plane for the roof face I am working with, turn off all the snaps.However with this method some mouse positions cause the window placement to rotate away from the roof plane and snap to a position parallel to one of the the global axis planes. This can be caused by a very small mouse movement.
Is there any way round this? It makes accurate placement difficult.

The follwoing are attempts to place a preset window in the interior face a of a sloping roof panel.

This is a mouse position that works
correct.png
correct.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 339 times
This is a mouse position that does not work.
vertical.png
vertical.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Thanks,

Roger

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
meme2704
Veteran

Re: Place window in a pitched roof object

Post by meme2704 »

Selecting the side of the roof before selecting the window, it may be necessary to reposition it in X or Y
Attachments
roof-3-window.PNG
roof-3-window.PNG (10.63 KiB) Viewed 334 times
wearyhacker

Post by wearyhacker »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. Sorry, I think my screenshots may have misled you. I have just realised that I must have deselected the face when taking the screen shot. It does not make any difference to the effect that I was trying to illustrate. I always select the face before I place a window, so that I ensure it is made a child of the correct object object. I also found that if I did not activate a working plane on the selected face then the window would be created at the correct orientation but placed with an origin on one of the global axes planes.
Roger
wearyhacker

Post by wearyhacker »

Just for information here is what I get if I try the two different selections with no working plane set.
Screenshot from 2018-07-27 18-59-57.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-27 18-59-57.png (27.24 KiB) Viewed 325 times
I am just wondering if this is somehow related to how Freecad translates mouse positions into the 3d space. The usual way is to cast a ray from the camera position into the frustum passing through the near plane at a position defined by the mouse coordinates (translated). I wonder that if the ray intersects a global 3d coordinate frame before it intersects the roof plane then the window orientation/position gets mixed up. But that still does not explain why the orientation flip flops as you move the mouse cursor on the roof plane.

Roger