EDITING AN STL FILE

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: EDITING AN STL FILE

Post by TheMarkster »

It's not perfect by any means and I'm not especially proud of it, but I'm uploading it because maybe it'll help you. I traced sketches of each of the outer profiles (plus the big hole inside for the top profile) using the mesh as a background. 2 of the 3 sketches are not fully constrained. The first one I fully constrained, the second one very close, by the time I got to the third one -- not so much. :lol: Anyways, I extruded those profiles (top, side, and front), then took the intersection. I drew another sketch and pocketed it to try to get the part that contacts with the gps unit somewhat closer to the original. Then applied a few fillets to round off a few edges.

In order to add more to the shade I took a cube and used it to form an intersection and a cut, essentially splitting the piece into 2 pieces, a top and a bottom (or maybe front and back, depending on how you look at it). Then I added a third piece for the middle. The third piece was created by taking a cross section with the cross section tool in the part workbench, then upgrading it in the draft workbench to make it into a face, then finally extruding that face symmetrically to create the center piece. Think of it as a kind of extra leaf in a table.

Common002 is what I refer to as the top piece. Cut001 is the bottom piece. Extrude004 is the middle piece that you would resize if it's not what you want as shown in the animated gif below. All you have to do is delete the Fusion object, then modify the length forward property of the extrusion for the Extrude004 (center piece) object, then move the other 2 pieces so they fit up against it, then fuse them back together into one single piece again.

Create a mesh object out of the fusion object in the mesh design workbench (meshes menu -> create mesh from shape), then check it for errors using the mesh menu -> analyze -> check and repair tool. Export the mesh object to an stl file for printing. I say to do it this way because the fusion object does show some check geometry errors. But I made a mesh out of it and the mesh checked out okay, so I think it should be okay for printing. Hopefully.
sunshade2-opt.gif
sunshade2-opt.gif (799.06 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Attachments
sunshade2.FCStd
(842.41 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Zastrugah

Post by Zastrugah »

Figures. Wish there was a way to edit without converting mesh... :( I'm running 16gb ram, AMD ryzen 7, 8 core processor, so I know its not my 1000$ :? pc. I have to sit with the "not responding" freecad window for literally an hour EVERY SINGLE time I convert mesh. Then i have to wait to convert to solid :cry:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Zastrugah wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am Figures. Wish there was a way to edit without converting mesh... :( I'm running 16gb ram, AMD ryzen 7, 8 core processor, so I know its not my 1000$ :? pc. I have to sit with the "not responding" freecad window for literally an hour EVERY SINGLE time I convert mesh. Then i have to wait to convert to solid :cry:
Your meshes are probably too big, and the BRep format is not optimized to represent hundreds of thousand of flat triangular facets. So these are your options (or at least some of them):

- Rebuild the model from scratch using the mesh as template. I admit, that the conversion to shape helps here with external references
- simplify the meshes, you can do this even in FreeCAD with "Decimate"
- select a more appropriate tool than FreeCAD, perhaps Blender suits your needs better

If these are no options for you, I have two more:
- be patient, while waiting help your old neighbours to bring their groceries into the house, play with the children, cook something nice
- invest 99,000$ more and get a computer with perhaps triple speed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Many meshes can be edited in Mesh Design without need to convert to FreeCAD format. There are primitives there and also booleans. You can also create a shape in FreeCAD and convert it to a mesh for use with the booleans in Mesh Design. This depends on having a good mesh object, which is all too often not the case with files downloaded from thingiverse.