How to create face from shape?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nquantum

Re: How to create face from shape?

Post by nquantum »

Wow thank you! You explain me txt and pic and animation make me clear! Also I learn more about draft and sketcher
Draft can only create a face from a single closed profile. In your DXF, there are 10 closed profiles:
It seem to me sketcher is more advance than draft. Since in your example rectangle and circle if I create in sketcher. I can immediately use part design to pad a select sketch (to extrude). No need delete face then trimex (to extrude).

Also I face abnormal behavior of trimex for trim line in draft (hard to trim to what I want, with confuse of mixture press of ctrl, shift, alt, where position of mouse in use) but no problem straightforward and clear use of trim in sketcher. I curious why draft not separate trim function individual than to group it into one command trimex (trim, extend, extrude). It use often. And it may make more sense in use.

More question: After already created. In draft can I change position of line? Or shape of rectangle?
In sketcher I just drag endpoint or edge of line/rectangle then it change.
Since in draft I try to drag, to double click endpoint or edge. It seem no possible to change it after draw in screen only change in data properties. Or delete it and draw again. Which is sometime time consume. I think there maybe another way?

frm this to this :
frm this to this :
3.jpg (266.19 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

nquantum wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:52 am It seem to me sketcher is more advance than draft. Since in your example rectangle and circle if I create in sketcher. I can immediately use part design to pad a select sketch (to extrude). No need delete face then trimex (to extrude).
While Sketcher is indeed more advanced than Draft, this is not the reason. Both are only methods to create 2D geometry. Draft creates individual separate objects, while a sketch can contain multiple elements in it. But Sketch only works in 2D, not 3D. The rest is the responsibility of the Part workbench or PartDesign workbench which create 3D shapes from 2D geometry.

PartDesign Pad and Part Extrude will produce a single solid from a sketch like the Misumi one, but for Part Extrude, you need to check the "Make solid" option. If you don't, it will extrude the sketch elements as faces, and the top and bottom will be open.

nquantum wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:52 am Also I face abnormal behavior of trimex for trim line in draft
I'm afraid I have near to no experience with trimex, I almost exclusively use the Sketcher.

nquantum wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:52 am More question: After already created. In draft can I change position of line? Or shape of rectangle?
Yes, but you need to either double-click the Draft object in the Model tree, or to select it and click on the Image Draft Edit button. This will expose the vertices of the object as black squares that you can pick and drag.

UR_ wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm - select Sketch and invoke PartWB:Make face from wires
Just read your reply again, this step is not really necessary, you can extrude a sketch directly and make a solid. I seldom use the Shape builder utility, because it does not create parametric objects.
nquantum

Post by nquantum »

Thank a lot! For the info.
Also after a lot use freecad to design cnc these pass week I learn a lot more. I often use sketcher with pad to model 3D. Only draft to do the simple draw like line rectangle only. I faster and flexible to me.

One thing I found it useless is measure distance in draft WB. What the purpose of this? I know it use to measure distance but it cannot snap to object.
If I measure two-leg of chair or how tall the chair is for example. The measure distance only give me estimate coz it may point not chair it may somewhere in 3d which I need check the view orbit, not perpendicular, not parallel to leg coz without snap.

I use "line" in draft to draw with snap on to what I want to measure and read value in data properties.
Is there any better use case of measure distance?
I feel like line more easier and more flexible to use for measure. Without snap on line also can measure estimate length also just click 2-places and read value in data properties.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I think our Sketcher WB needs a Hatch feature to create a Face.

I mean, if we have a Hatch inside our Sketches, when we extrude, the result should be a Solid from such Hatched or Face

related:

Code: Select all

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=16079
... I can not agree to greater an external Boundary and then cut with inside edges because it consumes many resources when a Drawing is big also.

... also when I tried to edit any edge the entire model break because the Topological Naming Problem.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FreeCAD is after all a 3D modeling tool and not painting by numbers. And what you show is just a cube. If you want to model different materials you should model different solids, and then you can color each of them differently.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I think this feature could open a new world for FreeCAD

With a Face features we could have a complete Sketcher and Draft WB, because we already have 0D and 1D, 2D objects are missing

Also we could control where we need our solids when we wish do an Extrude but we have many intersections or nested profiles.

Also other external WB could have more features related to a Face since Sketcher and Draft WB.

The easy method is like Gimp, inkscape or Krita, add Hatch.

... And colors no matters, I think.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:01 am 2D objects are missing
This is nonsense. You need to study the Draft WB more closely.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I forget the "make face" option in Draft objects to create a Face Object, was my bad, but I still think is a good feature for Draft WB adds Hatch or similar to create a Face between intersections.

Code: Select all

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58619