Open sketch for DXF and SWG

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sebtho

Open sketch for DXF and SWG

Post by sebtho »

Hello

I notice that when we export DXF or SWG, all sketch are open. This could be a problem when these sketches are used in some laser cutting software. Some of these softwares can't recognize different sketch if they are not closed.

I tried to install new FreeCad release 0.17.13528 and 0.17.13522 but both don't run on my computer.

Best Regards
SebTho
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Open sketch for DXF and SWG

Post by chrisb »

Hi sebtho, welcome to the forum. Please add your FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.

The "ValidateSketch" tool in Sketcher or PartDesign workbench can detect open vertices and offers to close them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sebtho

Post by sebtho »

Hello

My FreeCad Info are the following:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

I open the .dxf file and try to use the "ValidateSketch" tool but it asked me to select a sketch.
I think that the "Block_FILLET" is not considered as a sketch. I tried to copy/paste the "Block_FILLET" to a new sketch but it doesn't work

Thank you for your help

BR
SébTho
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I got probably trapped by the notion of "Sketch" in your first post. In FreeCAD we call a sketch something that was created in Sketcher workbench. I'm not quite sure if DXF export was affected as well, but we have seen some improvements in export functions.

Do you get any error messages when you start FreeCAD 0.17?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Chris, this is a help request, therefore it has no place in the Part Design module development forum. Furthermore, it seems obvious that it is not even relevant to the PartDesign workbench.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 pm Chris, this is a help request, therefore it has no place in the Part Design module development forum.
:oops:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

sebtho wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 am I tried to install new FreeCad release 0.17.13528 and 0.17.13522 but both don't run on my computer.
sebtho wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:05 am OS: Windows 10
Word size of OS: 64-bit
should install and run fine.

If you mean that FreeCAD installs but then does not run, then the most common reason on Windows seems to be that you need to update your GPU driver by going to the manufacturer's web site and getting their latest driver. In some cases the default MS GPU driver has poor or buggy OpenGL support.

Note that the dev. snapshot releases, currently 0.18dev versions, do not need to be installed, just downloaded unzipped then run by going into the "bin" directory and clicking on FreeCAD.
sebtho

Post by sebtho »

Hello Chris and jmaustpc and thank you for your answers.

@ Chris
I don't know how to call a DXF "path". This is a sketch for me but maybe another name :-).
When I use "Part Design" menu and open a 3D part, I select a face and click "Ctrl + E" and then I can save a dxf file. But if I use this file into a software for laser cuting, it doesn't work, because the path is not closed (even if vertex seems to be correct).

for the FreeCad 0.17, I don't get any message. FreeCad just doesn't start.

@ jmaustpc
For FreeCad Update, I don't want to update if nothing has been improved on this last subject. But thank you for the information about the GPU driver. I will try if it's really necessary.

@ Normand C
I already post this comment to bug section and someone already told me that it was not the right forum. So maybe something is unclear. It don't solve anythink to say that I'm in the wrong forum. Please just answer the question if you can or if you want, otherwise it's just useless.

BR
SebTho
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Can you attach a FreeCAD file that isn't exporting properly? It might be there is some problem with the way you are making the file in FreeCAD, for example, not constraining the sketch properly.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

sebtho wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 pm @ Normand C
I already post this comment to bug section and someone already told me that it was not the right forum.
Hi sebtho, and welcome! Protocol is to discuss any potential bugs in the forum before filing a bug report. There have been many bug reports filed that really aren't bugs, but instead are because of user inexperience, so we want to avoid that.

sebtho wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 pm It don't solve anythink to say that I'm in the wrong forum. Please just answer the question if you can or if you want, otherwise it's just useless.
His comment wasn't for you, and it did solve the problem of your post being in the wrong forum section. Just so you know: Normand was a moderator here for many years and he knows very much about FreeCAD and also about managing the forum.

So with that out of the way, as mentioned before, it would be helpful if you can upload your file to the forum so someone can have a look at it.