Known Issues Comments

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Known Issues Comments

Post by chrisb »

This topic serves for comments and proposals for the sticky+locked Known Issues topic. I started with three issues, the solutions are given by quotes from other topics.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Known Issues Comments

Post by DeepSOIC »

Known issue: '...' button next to Attachment Offset
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:13 pm Known issue: '...' button next to Attachment Offset
Isn't that rather something for the "Most commonly asked questions" section in the Forum rules?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Hannu

Post by Hannu »

The "missing" possibility to create (parts of¹, in) more than one Body from a single sketch?
(numerous postings over the last year, from my googling)

Preferably make it behave similar to hard links in the ext filesystem,
- any(?) number of links possible,
- any changes in content apply to the single instance,
- file (=Sketch) remains until last instance (link) is deleted.

Alternatively: copies are read only / reference mode use only?

¹) is there a list of explanations of concepts and/or terms (word!) used in FreeCAD somewhere on this site?
Last edited by Hannu on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Hannu - engineer & mild :geek:
- Embedded, Computer, Software, Electronic, Fault analysis. A&D Photography http://flickr.com/arkane
- Mechanics, FDM 3D-prints, Solder, Lathe, Mill, Weld -work. ISO Audits, Claim, Deviation, Corrective action
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hannu wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:23 pm The "missing" possibility to create (parts of¹, in) more than one Body from a single sketch?
That's not an issue, but we might consider mentioning it in the follow-up of the forum rules.

¹) is there a list of explanations of concepts and/or terms (word!) used in FreeCAD somewhere on this site?
Yes: Glossary.
Hannu

Post by Hannu »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Hannu wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:23 pm The "missing" possibility to create (parts of¹, in) more than one Body from a single sketch?
That's not an issue, but we might consider mentioning it in the follow-up of the forum rules.
Hmm, could somebody point out a HOWTO on this matter?
I've been looking all over the place and it seems to that;
either what worked a while back has been disabled, or I haven't found the right keywords to find a still relevant discussion thread.
/Hannu - engineer & mild :geek:
- Embedded, Computer, Software, Electronic, Fault analysis. A&D Photography http://flickr.com/arkane
- Mechanics, FDM 3D-prints, Solder, Lathe, Mill, Weld -work. ISO Audits, Claim, Deviation, Corrective action
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In 0.16 it was possible to create more than one solid from a sketch. However, that was not conforming to the documentation and as soon as further features where applied to such solids one of them vanished; perhaps not always, but usually.
lemonbug

Post by lemonbug »

Is the sketcher selection box issue on Mac a known issue? I know we have discussed it a while back and it still haunts me. thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

lemonbug wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:11 pm Is the sketcher selection box issue on Mac a known issue? I know we have discussed it a while back and it still haunts me. thanks
Can you please provide a link to the discussion?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hannu wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:26 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Hmm, could somebody point out a HOWTO on this matter?
I've been looking all over the place and it seems to that;
either what worked a while back has been disabled, or I haven't found the right keywords to find a still relevant discussion thread.
hi, to be clear, you are talking about a deliberate design limitation in PartDesign, not Sketcher itself. The fact that it "sort of" worked at one time was a "bug" in that version that has long since been fixed.

A "Body" is designed to be a single contiguous solid. If you want to use PartDesign WB and you want separate solids, you create them in separate Bodies. This is a deliberate design intention of PartDesign, which uses Sketcher WB but is not a limitation of Sketcher WB itself, you could for example use a sketch in Part WB, Arch WB or any other workbench where its functionality is relevant and then the single solid requirement may or may not be there as its all to do with the design of the WB using the sketch and not Sketcher WB itself. Note of course that I am talking about a single contiguous solid requirement, not a feature of a single contiguous solid. So you can attach a sketch to a face of a solid in PartDesign that you then Pad which contains multiple separate features like an array of knobs for example, so long as they all intersect the solid from the previous set.