Center cylinder in object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Panthermal

Center cylinder in object

Post by Panthermal »

Hi

Another newbie question;
How do I position a cylinder (or object) within another object to perfect center? Or do I have to do all the calculations myself of dimensions and position? https://imgur.com/a/NE7NiQh

Using FreeCAD 0.17
Bance
Veteran

Re: Center cylinder in object

Post by Bance »

You can use the symmetry constraint from diagonally opposing corners....

HTH Steve.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
1st idea: you center the square in XY, then the circle on these same XY
2sd: you use the tool to create reference edges, then the symmetric constraint tool to center the circle
Attachments
centrer.PNG
centrer.PNG (80.42 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Panthermal

Post by Panthermal »

meme2704 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:53 pm 1st idea: you center the square in XY, then the circle on these same XY
2sd: you use the tool to create reference edges, then the symmetric constraint tool to center the circle
Hm, how do you get the XY cross? Also the toolbar/icons you have marked are grey, probably due to there not being the XY cross?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Panthermal wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:39 pm Hi

Another newbie question;
How do I position a cylinder (or object) within another object to perfect center? Or do I have to do all the calculations myself of dimensions and position? https://imgur.com/a/NE7NiQh

Using FreeCAD 0.17
you may consider Aligner of Manipulator WB
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Panthermal wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:26 pm Hm, how do you get the XY cross?
It should be always there if you are in sketcher. Perhaps you did not align your basic sketch or primitive properly in the origin.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Panthermal

Post by Panthermal »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:56 pm
Panthermal wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:26 pm Hm, how do you get the XY cross?
It should be always there if you are in sketcher. Perhaps you did not align your basic sketch or primitive properly in the origin.
After having created the parts, going over to "Sketcher" I can click "Create new sketch" to get such cross. If I click the cone shape I've made, and click "Create new sketch" it has "Concentric" as predefined value in the drop menu. If I click ok the cross seems to be aligned with the face of the cone but I cant click to select anything but the corss lines and the dot in the middle. Where am I going wrong?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

It makes it a LOT easier to help if you read and follow the posting guidelines as laid out in the link in the big pink box at the top of the page,
In this instance an included file would be of great value.

Steve.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Panthermal wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:33 am If I click the cone shape I've made, and click "Create new sketch" it has "Concentric" as predefined value in the drop menu.
I have never seen this "concentric". Where do you click the cone shape: in the tree or in 3D view one of the faces?
If I click ok the cross seems to be aligned with the face of the cone but I cant click to select anything but the corss lines and the dot in the middle. Where am I going wrong?
Nowhere. X-axis, Y-axis and origin are all you have in an empty sketch. Now you can add elements by selecting one of the icons line, circle, arc, ...

If you just start with sketcher I would encourage you to have a look at my Sketcher tutorial (at the end of first post) and give some feedback.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Panthermal

Post by Panthermal »

Bance wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 am It makes it a LOT easier to help if you read and follow the posting guidelines as laid out in the link in the big pink box at the top of the page,
In this instance an included file would be of great value.

Steve.
Up to date, check
Search first, check
Version, check
Problem description, check
Screenshot, check

Not sure what you think I missed?